Register free!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

also if you are really worried about call back 10 to 12 inches of 3/4 rock and 500x fabric and 300x for the sand.That would be loads of less work and fast to lay down. and also on a relay job why by the sf?? great way to lose money.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscaping View Post
The 24 inches is my insurance. much better base means that i will not be going back there, my last driveway was 30 inches deep. the customer understands the extra charge is worth it.
Ok, then whats the point in this thread??? Obviously the "customer" DOES NOT "understand" or this thread would not exist.

I'm not a soils engineer, nor am I familiar with your soil conditions.

But, Dude, you're crying about being underbid, and some of us are offering you pointers on careful competitive job costing and you don't appear to be interested in taking some of our points into consideration, you keep justifying your method(s) that obviously aren't working.

How many driveways have you ACTUALLY started and completed??

How many inches of base does the local town have under the asphalt of their brand new road??

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 09-12-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am surpised that no one has mentioned that unless your a expert in compaction you very well could increase your chance of settling by doing 24" of base. If one lift is to large....
Old 09-12-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand what everyone is saying, i cannot understand why anybody would say 80 grand to completely redo a 7500 sq ft driveway is out of hand. I don't need to argue my methods of installation, i am really confident in them.

I just did not understand how come people are pricing that low, but thanks to me listening to some comments to some of you guys, i understand how they are bidding it. I am not arguing anything against you guys nor do i want to argue. I appreciate all of your opinions and i have already figured out what to do about my issue. Thank you.

There is no need to turn this into a big bitching match.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So whats the number? how many have you installed this way?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have installed 7 driveways under my company name. also have installed approx 10 000 sq ft of patios. I have also been in business for only tgree years now. Why does it matter? Honestly how many have you guys installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All driveways are installed differently compared to what the customer wants to pay for. I have installed three driveways with more than 18 inches of gravel.

A patio i installed was 32 inches deep. reason is because the builders here are bullshit when they back fill and use alot of clay. The clay retains alot of moisture and i don't want to fix the patio so i tell them this is what it costs, you get me to do it, or no warranty.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand why you guys need to bring up how much interlock i have done. You have to learn how to stay on track and not try to turn everything into an argument, this forum is suppose to be for helping people, not arguing with them and telling them that they shouldn't do anything. Everybody needs to learn things one way or another, so just learn to help or keep your mouths shut.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscaping View Post
All driveways are installed differently compared to what the customer wants to pay for. I have installed three driveways with more than 18 inches of gravel.

A patio i installed was 32 inches deep. reason is because the builders here are bullshit when they back fill and use alot of clay. The clay retains alot of moisture and i don't want to fix the patio so i tell them this is what it costs, you get me to do it, or no warranty.
(thats what i do as well just for the warranty aspect...) maybe i would go 2 feet of 3/4 rock but all the same... driveways are the number one on the not go skinny.. you never know what s going to get parked on it.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
I am surpised that no one has mentioned that unless your a expert in compaction you very well could increase your chance of settling by doing 24" of base. If one lift is to large....
also if the lift is to large that is nobodies fault but your own!!