Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Newb lookin to get started

Hey everyone. New guy here wanting to go off on my own and seems like this site may be able to answer all my questions and point me in the right direction.

Quick background on myself: I'm a mule I'm 29 and been with the same company for 13 years. 8 years cutting and a lawn foreman. 5 Years landscape construction and operating. We cut mostly commercial. I have always been a mechanic there too working on any and all equipment for us and other companies from 2 cyl equipment, 9 Walker mowers the company owns, 5 front end loaders, bobcats, mini excavator, and 5 street sweepers, and also the trucks. I do all my own repairs, welding, fabrication, snow equipment repairs and installs. Have a 2A/1C hoisting license and a class A permit and going for the license in 2 weeks. I love the job but after 13 years I don't want to be stuck here and feel like I hit the ceiling.

I cut a couple lawns on the side. I do own my own 2000 Chevy K2500 single wheel 3/4 ton dump with rack body that holds about 4 yds and also has a plow, also a 2002 16' dual axle open trailer, a 97 diesel Walker mower, and a old 48" walkbehind mower. All of this equipment is paid for and is not junk except the 48' walkbehind may be questionable

I'm thinking I have a decent setup to start with.
I know many contacts as far as parts people since that is who I deal with most in the garage.
I'm mainly looking to set myself up properly and legit as far as insurance etc. and going about it the right way.

I'd like to start with residential customers but would like to take on small commercial accounts that may also include snow accounts

As far as going after commercial accounts I need a starting point as to how I find out when things go out to bid and how to get my name out there with people and management companies.

Were I work now I have never been laid off. Our garage is busy when it is not snowing for our own and other customers repairs. Some customers I do repairs for have been asking me to go to them on the side. I would like to just try to be as efficient as possible all year but also don't expect to take on more than I can chew.

Lots of the companies in our area try to work together except for a small few. I'm not the guy who believes in lowballing everyone and burning bridges. My boss hates burning bridges and I hope I can keep a working relationship with him. I have no idea how he will take this since he did not like when I told him I quit last year as a joke lol but I hope he will understand I want to better myself