Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Possible new business advise needed

Hi, I am new to the site. I specifically joined to research the landscape curbing part of the business. This may not be the correct forum, but I'll try it anyways. I am not currently in the lawn care business, but spent many of my younger years working for one, and 5 years doing herbicide/pesticide service, so I'm not a complete newb.

I have a good friend (retiring) who wants to sell me a complete, nearly new "Lil Bubba" system for a good price and am thinking of getting into the business. I am pounding the internet and local area looking for any info and opinions I can find to help with my decision.

I have researched and personally met with each (only 2) local company I can find currantly in this business. I have experience working with concrete, so I think given enough practice time, it shouldn't be hard to pick up the skills needed. My plan is to be strictly part-time, I have a good career which only requires me to work 14-15 days per month. I already own a 2500 cummins 4x4, so thats taken care of. I plan to make a decision by the end of the month.

I do realize this is probably not the best time of year to start, or the best economy. I have about 8-10 jobs lined up (relatives and friends) for my "practice yards". I own some worthless land out in the country I plan to start with 1st, probably using only wet sand till I work out the kinks and get a little more familiar with the process. I have made contact with several leads, contractors and realitors I've gotten to know over the years in an attempt to judge the market for potential business. Most seem to think its a good opportunity as long as I plan to be strictly part-time. I think 1-2 jobs per month should cover my expenses and hopefully get me through until spring.

What do you guys think? Sound like I'm on the right track? Any advise/pointers you could give would be greatly appreciated. I do have a few specific questions though....

-do you recommend one brand of the equipment over another? I have found similar prices (all used but 1-3 yrs old) on Tygar, Lil Bubba, and another I can't think of right off hand.

How much competition is to much for this particular market? If I start, that would make 3 companies within a 30 mile radius... that too much?

Do you do much business Oct-Feb.? I assume this will be predominantly a pre-Spring (tax season) through late summer job.

Thanks in advance, Phil
Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes your on the right track.

I would advise go to a local tax prepairer, sit down and spend time with them.

you may be surprised of all the rules we have to follow. and how much money you DONT make.

check YOUR state laws. and start off the right way.

Best of luck to you
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the encouraging words Dave, I have a Bro-in-law who runs an advertising agency/tax office I've been conferring with. Didn't spend much time talking about it, but doubt i will make any profit at all this year at least. He says if that's the case, just the write-offs for this year will help me a ton! I need all the help I can get in that department, uncle Sam really doesn't like me much!