Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Who's Using Shindaiwa C4 Equipment? Opinions?

Looking for opinions on Shindaiwa's C4 equipment, blowers, trimmers, edgers,etc.? Lots of threads on stihl 4mix but not a lot on the Shindy 4mix version. Are they reliable, are they lasting and do they have enough power? Just ordered one and if it is as good as the stihl 4mix appear to be
(debatable i know) I may consider other equipment. thanks for any input.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My father has a eb250T ( something like that) trimmer. I have been using because on of my guys lost one of the husqvarnas. Anyways the shiny is heavy! Its not comfortable, seems to go though more fuel than my husqvarnas. It takes forever for that stupid thing to warm up and run. My husqvaranas you pull start twice at the most and your ready to trim. The shinny you have to wait a while. I also have the handheld blower, I like it a lot its the best handheld blower I've owned. So I wouldn't but the C4 trimmer but the C4 blower is nice! That's just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the Shindaiwa C4 hand held blower and I have no problem with it. It is easy to start and don't need warmup at all. I can pull full rpm within 5 second after cold start ( takes that long to pick it up and squeeze the throttle!!)

I heard no complains about the C4 trimmers and hand held blowers at all here and people love them. The big EB8510 is a different story, people had problem with it, well so was the Stihl original 4Mix BR600. They came out with the new improved EB8520 so as the Stihl came out with the BR600 Magnum that promised to fix all the issues. Both are too new to judge so you have to make the call.

The C4 trimmers have be around for many years already, any bugs would have been iron out. Bottom line, if you are looking at C4 stuff with 24.5 or 34cc engines, you are safe. I am consider buying the C4 hedge trimmer because I am tired of the warmup of the 2 cycles.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i have edger and hand blower. both start easy but need 30 sec to warm up. had the stick edger 2 years. uses very little fuel and is powerfull and quiet. has been reliable.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We got five of the 2510 trimmers this year. Don't like the little warm up each day and sometimes during the day if it sits on trailer for awhile. Don't like the crazy little start up process initially. Usually starts on first pull after that. And I dont' like the fact that the shoes wore out in 6 months but should have expected that since rev up is slow. Other than that we like the balance the power and trimmer. I changed from Echo 265 and ....I don't think it was a good move but I look for long life. Oh forget we did this for the environment and our health.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you guys don't think I'm knocking shindawia, I really like the blower and I think I got a great deal on it-brand new for 125.00. What did you guys pay for the handheld blower?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use the M-2510 powerhead with the trimmer attachment. I don't like that it always has to be started with full choke and about 4 pulls. However, I can trim nearly a full day on one tank of gas which is a big plus. I think it has good not great power, and is very well balanced.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replys, very much appreciated, just what I was looking for. Hope some others will chime in.
Alan, the unit I ordered, a Swisher/Shindaiwa E3000 edger, has the 24.5 cc motor, so, hopefully it will perform well. I will probably wait a while to replace my bp blower, if I can, to see how the 8520's hold up, so far I have heard only good about them. I have tried one of the Stihl BR600 blowers and really liked how smooth and powerful it was. If the 8520 is anything like that I am sure I will like it.
Lawnboy Dan, the reason I bought the 4mix edger was for low fuel use but good power and reliability. Have a couple of churchs with lots of parking lot and sidewalks and do a lot of edging. Gone through a couple edgers in the last several years and I am hoping this one will last a while. Good to hear yours has held up and is good on fuel.
Castlerock, I actually got a good deal on the edger I ordered, 180.00. It was over the net so no taxes. It is a Swisher, but the people at Shindaiwa assured me that it is 100% Shindaiwa and that they hold and service the warranty. So, not bad for a brand new Shindaiwa. They were selling these at Costco this year for 250.00 and I am sure that that is where this one was originally purchased. Where did you get your blower for 125.00?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

i got the eb8510 ran for two seasons now and cranks on first or second pull. no problems here
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

nriddle77
Do you have or have you tried any of the Stihl 4mix? If so, how does the Shindy C4 compare to the Stihl? Thanks.