Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take a mini way more places than a full size hoe, any day. The blade allows you to at least get yourself somewhat stabilized, although that can be a false sense of security. For their size, their center of gravity is much lower. The booms on minis aren't nearly as heavy relative to their lower structure as full size hoes.

It's not steep enough until you have to climb facing downhill and pushing yourself uphill. I've gone up slopes steep enough to lift the uphill end of the undercarriage off the ground a little while facing uphill and keeping the boom relatively low. That's a little unnerving and I'm not a fan, all it takes is little slide backwards down the hill, hit a hole/stump/whatever, the hoe stops but gravity doesn't, hoe goes over backwards and there you are with a front row seat to carnage. I prefer to climb facing uphill but sometimes it doesn't make sense and it's best to spin around and push.

Not sure where everyone get's this "city boys don't climb slopes attitude". Project I just came off of had 95 feet of 1.5:1, smack dab in the middle of an urban area. Dive down that in a 6R will put hair in places you didn't now you had.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 09-11-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A local job site built about 15 years ago was all built on super steep hill sides. So much so that most houses in their are walkouts with 4 foot walls poured to hold the slab for the basement. I dug a addition on one about a year ago that had a 4 foot wall holding up the slab to the walk out basement. The addition was only 20 feet away from the house but by the time we dug the footers for it they had to be frost footers and 9 foot walls were poured and back filled for a slab to be poured to match the slab in the basement grade. I will try to find the pictures from that job. It was a challenege to keep the minis up on that hill. The one hammered the rock from the footers and the other dug the footers. Two in a very tight area.
M-istake
A-merica

Buck Ofama

2002 Chevy 3500 D/A
2008 Takeuchi TL130
2008 18' Cam Superline Overdeck Trailer
Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd take a rubber track mini on that slope any day of the week.

J.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Hoeman that is steep but you wouldn't take a mini excavator with rubber tracks up that slope. Your 312 will stick to that fairly well if it was wet then maybe not so well.

I have had the one of the contractors I worked for with a 15 ton hoe on some steep stuff. No pictures there was no stopping you didn't have time to even take a pee I demanded lunch breaks.

There is a big difference in leg room in a mini and a fullsize machine when your bracing yourself, relax your legs and your sliding forward. The seat in the 331 is thrashed I had to have a bath towel on it there was no upholstery over the seat foam just the foam.

Umm yes I would take a mini up that. While drinking a beer and banging your mom doggystyle
Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeman376 View Post
Umm yes I would take a mini up that. While drinking a beer and banging your mom doggystyle
Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
I'd take a rubber track mini on that slope any day of the week.

J.
I would have to agree, I would take a mini into far worse country then a full size that's for sure. Rat, you ever think about putting a SEATBELT ON!!!! It does a great job of holding you in your seat!! Who woulda thought!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The seatbelt wasn't enough for me while sidehilling, so I went to Wally-World and bought a rug backer to plant my arse in the seat. It works very well on those all weather seats, although I feel like an old man.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
The seatbelt wasn't enough for me while sidehilling, so I went to Wally-World and bought a rug backer to plant my arse in the seat. It works very well on those all weather seats, although I feel like an old man.
That is a good idea
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We did an electric line at a local college a few years ago with a 312. The hard part was we had to tie off the guys doing the hand raking, seeding and mulching.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Louisville KY mainly... I bounce from place to place.
I always liked the jobs where you have a racing style seat with dtraps to hold yourself in the machine, weights on the undercarriage to keep your center of gravity low, single bar grousers with ice picks, and you have the machine tied off to a D8- In a 30 ton hoe- to hold to the slope.