Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
I agree 100%

Leaf pick-up and removal is on large properties with tall mature trees is a waste both in money for the customer and the nutrients lost that mulched leaves give back to a lawn. All the equipment needed, leaf loaders, dump truck,tarps, large crews w/backpack blowers, travel time to and from the dump, unloading, dump fees, etc.

It is not uncommon in the northeast for acre properties with a lot of tall mature trees for leaf removal to be priced out up to $1000.00.

Several visits in October and November mulching the leaves and it can be done for 1/2 the price of leaf removal.
Around here, half of that work is eliminated because the town picks up all the leaves, so all you have to do is get them to a pile at the curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleC View Post
Why are you not selling it at the beginning of the season.....sell them everything up front, then you dont have to worry about "trying" to upsell. When I take on a new customer or start the season they get pricing for everything and they are sold everything upfront. Dont beat around the bush....give them everything upfront.
I like that and I am probably going to do that next year...same thing with plowing just give them the all season package.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I find that people will wait until November to ask for leaf cleanup. Be patient, it will happen.

Ford
Exmark-Gravely
Stihl-Redmax
Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with hack... people wait till late Oct before they start calling about Fall clean ups. Get out and sell some aerting and slice seeding.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody is thinking fall cleanup around here it will be at least 1st of November. We will be lucky to get a frost by Halloween here in the south. Just the way it is. Dang its just September 14.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

cut level, are you in Memphis? I agree we got a good bit before leaf cleanups. The only thing keeping me busy is a few cuts here and there and the hedge trimmings. I am trying to up sell some mulch too. It is good to mulch in the fall right?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't know how some of you are doing fall clean ups. especially the one's that say they aren't charging any extra since they use walkers mowers or whatever.

for regular clients i come on a weekly basis and blow out the mulch beds and bag up the leaves with grass catcher on the mower. this is an extra charge. any time the grass catcher goes on it's an extra charge. it takes more having to empty the catcher. even if it is only emptied a couple of times.

the clients that purchase my premium service automatically get the fall clean ups. i just start them when it is time and charge accordingly.

the basic service clients have to be asked and receive a letter with there sept. invoice.

it is sometimes hard to get them to purchase the clean ups. best i do is let them know what is envolved and how it will look when it is done. if they purchase this service great. if not i just move on. i stop service on the properties that will no longer need cutting because the growth of the grass is next to nothing and leave them with there leaves for the fall.

the regulars that don't use my fall clean up services just create more open spots for the one timers that call and want there leaves done.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its tough out there, and its only getting worse...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic lawn care View Post
Its tough out there, and its only getting worse...
ill drink to that

05 dodge ram 3500 stacked
12' open trailer
20' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
Sthil trimmers,blowers,chain saws,pole saws
01/06 honda atv w/ plow and spray tank
Deere Z840A
48" scag Pro-V w/ bagger
09 Deere 328 Loader
2 o4 2500HD ext cab's
01 chevy 1500
Billy Goat truck loader
1500 gal tank w/ 2.5" fire line and garden hose's
Iron Oak log splitter
www.pfd-llc.com
http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EOSRRCOEBMN where we get our uniforms.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
unfortunately the properties that have the most trees are the ones that dont want a cleanup. no matter what I do with them, its going to look like garbage and its going to take more time.
call those accounts specifcally. If they still don't want a clean up mow right over the leaves and charge your regular rate.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I never actually bag or pick up fall leaves. I just mulch them up. A lot of the dumps now wont take bags of leave or grass. They dont want to waste landfill space with organic materials.