Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i always mulch the leaves in the fall....much easier and faster...i usually wait til the fall and ask if they want it done or not...right now i'm still cutting grass every 2 weeks
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
yeah i always mulch the leaves in the fall....much easier and faster...i usually wait til the fall and ask if they want it done or not...right now i'm still cutting grass every 2 weeks
With leaves, every situation is different but the properties that drop a layer every week I just blow first. All along the curb, beds, walkways, sidewalks. Get everything in the yard and mulch it all up. At this point in the season there is little to no weedeating or edging so it sometimes takes less time than it did to regularly cut the yard. These are the type of clients I want. They want to keep up with the leaves rather than the customer that lets it all fall and then call you out to 4ft. of leaves. I hate those jobs. Unfortunately most people wait, unless high end.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing to consider is that, people tend to think of fall cleanup as, milking out the process. For years around here folks waited for the snow to melt, the grass start to greenup, then say, "Hey, we better start raking".

I have now generalized the "2 Week Rule"... That is, Until the ground freezes, any leaf that sits in one place for 2 weeks, will kill the grass underneath... depending on the amount of rain, and texture of the soil of course, but the general idea is: don't wait till spring.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another way to sell it to some customers who get a layer of leaves weekly or bi weekly is to tell them to let you still cut it through Oct and November which in turn would keep the yard leaf free and would cost about even as one big cleanup by December. I just realized it and so I need to send out emails!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In New England, we get cleanup calls from customers that have 12 inches of wet leaves in the yard. Under the leaves we often find 6 inches of uncut wet lawn (We couldn't mow, the leaves were in the way!). Mulching is not an option. Blowers, leaf loaders, rakes, and tarps are the only way to move the bulk of the leaves. Then the last 5% can be mowed and bagged or mulched.

Remember, every area is different.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have the early leaves starting now. Maple and poplar. Them we can mulch. This will be followed by 3 weeks of mowing up pine needles. Then the mowing is done. Very little growth after that. Then, every 2 weeks or so we chase oak leaves, until snowfall.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
We have the early leaves starting now. Maple and poplar. Them we can mulch. This will be followed by 3 weeks of mowing up pine needles. Then the mowing is done. Very little growth after that. Then, every 2 weeks or so we chase oak leaves, until snowfall.
Same thing here....
Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

mulching them up leaves an undesired look with myself and my clients. bagging them up gives that "spotless" spring look.

i never put leaves in bags. i just dump the catcher directly into my truck bed. when the truck bed is full i stop at the compost site and unload. i'm not sure i will ever understand the guys that comment back, i never put grass, leaves or any other debris in my truck bed. thats what trucks are for and thats why they are perfect for this industry. i can only understand not putting stuff in your truck bed if you have an open trailer with space you can dump stuff in but thats it. if your not going to use your truck to load it with grass clippings, leaves, shrub clippings, mulch, rock, dirt, etc. why have a truck? just get an SUV or get one of those lawn trucks where you put all your equipment on it and don't have to haul a trailer.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
mulching them up leaves an undesired look with myself and my clients. bagging them up gives that "spotless" spring look
Nah there must be something wrong with your mower. The deck, blades, etc.

I'll but mine up against any freshly bagged lawn. The cut qualty is all there. Leaves under. Done. No bags, dumping fees, more physical labor, or pesky bs. Oh and their lawn is healthier. Grow faster, get me $.

Last edited by Southern Pride; 09-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
Another way to sell it to some customers who get a layer of leaves weekly or bi weekly is to tell them to let you still cut it through Oct and November which in turn would keep the yard leaf free and would cost about even as one big cleanup by December. I just realized it and so I need to send out emails!
yesssss that's kindof what i do...i just check back regularly with them every 2 weeks just as if i was mowing....some will ask me to trim their hedges or whatever and if leaves are there they may ask me to cut them...it's alot easier that way rather than waiting til the end of november and the leaves are 2ft high lol