2 7x16 trailer
7x14 trailer
6x12 trailer
equipment trailer for tractor
Old 09-16-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
all good points....the leaves are already changing around here. You guys that are still doing cleanups into december, that must be nice. By december we have already plowed snow once maybe twice! In my area, cleanups start anywhere from like NOW til mid november is usually when we do the final cleanup. Grass still grows and needs cutting right up until the end of october, so I think thats whats throwing a lot of people off is the fact that the grass still needs to be cut so the leaves will be picked up with it, which is why I am having to make phone calls and explain to people thats not how it works.
Are you the guy who bought Derek's Lesco walkbehind?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
my full time account mowing plowing and clear ups i give a turkey
thats awefull nice of you. you must do well in your business to afford that.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yardguy28 i have farm i rise turkey and beef donkeys goats and more you take care of your account they take care of you. my account all give me money for xmas gift. all my account like me because do what they want and more.
2011 4x4 f250
2008 4x4 f250
1999 4x4 f250
5 fisher plows
2 fisher sanders
2010 kubota l4400
2007 kubota kx 161-3
billy goat truck vacuum 23 hp
2011 exmark navigator
2010 exmark navigator
2011 walker
2010 walker
2008 walker
2 7x16 trailer
7x14 trailer
6x12 trailer
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

maybe your clients wait until late fall to get the leaves removed but my clients have me continue coming weekly. once weekly mowing starts in the spring i don't stray from that until all the leaves are off the trees at the end of November.

you might charge twice the amount but that's your charging NOT mine.

i don't do the stop mowing and show up 2 or 3 times during the fall to remove leaves. even one time jobs are mowed up with the mowers and grass catchers.

i can get probably about 10 clients worth of leaves in the back of my pick up truck until about half way through fall. then i have to make stop in the middle of the day at the compost site. there are also a few client that i dump in the median because our city comes 2 times a season and picks up everyone leaves. dumping them in the median is not the preferred method though but if most of the houses in the neighborhood around my clients have piles out there i will dump them out there because the wind will blow leaves from those piles back into the yard anyway.
The mindset here in the Northeast customers want mowing to stop as soon as the grass stops growing, which is usually the first or second week of October, leaves be damned.

Only time I consider leaf pick-up for a customer is if I can dump the collected leaves from my bagger on-site somewhere on their property or woods next to it. And that's only if the leaves aren't too thick, 1-2 inches at the most. It's a hard sell to convince some customers who think of leaves as litter that don't decompose and somehow can't wrap their mind around the idea that it is cheaper to mulch their leaves several times during the fall season than wait till end of fall to pick-up and remove all the leaves.

You should look at some of the fall clean-up threads with pictures on here with the amount of leaves, equipment and manpower needed to pick-up and remove leaves on large properties. Crews of 4 or more, 2 or 3 with backpack blowers, tarping or a guy on a Z collecting with a bagger,10-18Hp leaf-loaders, several trips to dump with a dumptruck or enclosed truck. It's nuts. At least the customers you have have the common sense to have leaf pick-up done during the season and not waiting till the end.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
The mindset here in the Northeast customers want mowing to stop as soon as the grass stops growing, which is usually the first or second week of October, leaves be damned.

Only time I consider leaf pick-up for a customer is if I can dump the collected leaves from my bagger on-site somewhere on their property or woods next to it. And that's only if the leaves aren't too thick, 1-2 inches at the most. It's a hard sell to convince some customers who think of leaves as litter that don't decompose and somehow can't wrap their mind around the idea that it is cheaper to mulch their leaves several times during the fall season than wait till end of fall to pick-up and remove all the leaves.

You should look at some of the fall clean-up threads with pictures on here with the amount of leaves, equipment and manpower needed to pick-up and remove leaves on large properties. Crews of 4 or more, 2 or 3 with backpack blowers, tarping or a guy on a Z collecting with a bagger,10-18Hp leaf-loaders, several trips to dump with a dumptruck or enclosed truck. It's nuts. At least the customers you have have the common sense to have leaf pick-up done during the season and not waiting till the end.
yeah i've seen some of the threads and the pics. it is nuts. i've done some larger jobs myself but i just don't have the equipment to be blowing around leaves with blowers. i have a br400 backpack blower and a 5 hp little wonder (that i rarely use).

when looked around at walkbehind blowers the one dealer told me even if i didn't buy from them not to get anything less than an 8hp. well the other dealer talked me into the 5hp telling me he used a 5hp when he had a lawn business and it worked fine.

that dealer just wanted the sale cuz i can't nearly as far as i'd like blowing leaves from one end of the property to the other. both my neighbors have 8hp little wonders and they can start at there far backyard and blow the leaves to the front and keep going through the front to the curb.

it's much easier for me to mow them up with the mower and grass catcher. you fight the wind a lot less too. plus i'm solo i don't have helper to use the blowers.

i start by blowing out the leaves in the mulch beds into the turf and do the same with the hardscape areas. then i mow one pass letting the catcher fill up. once full it mulches the leaves a bit. then i make a second pass collecting everything. thats only if there thick of course. the weekly are done just like spring only i do spend a few min. blowing out the mulch beds and hardscapes first.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
there are also a few client that i dump in the median because our city comes 2 times a season and picks up everyones leaves.
No offense to your area or neighborhood at all but that just sounds like a mess. I'm glad clients here don't have excuses like leaving the leaves on a curb? I'm not even sure how the city would come and do a good job gathering them up. I like to mulch them (if not thick obviously) or bag and haul and be proud of what that yard is supposed to look like when I'm done. Either way you look at it, leaf cleanups are great $ but If I was a client knowing the city would just come pick them up I would just rake them out wherever they needed to go. At that point why ever bother having someone just put them on a curb. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I am thinking you don't bag them and just put them on a curb or median right? That makes no sense to me. After a couple wind gusts you'd be back at square 1.

90% of the "cleanups" I do are not heavy debris oriented, so it doesn't leave the lawn looking brown at all. I'm just saying I would rather show up every week, blow, mow and blow than show up once and spend half a day bagging and hauling. This way the yard still has the nice "stripes" and lines like a normal cut. Thats just me though. After alot of experience and practice I love it my way. Not saying anyone elses way is wrong.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

on clean ups come to what the account wants the lawn to look like at the end of the season. all my account would dump me if i went and mulch the leaves up and left on the lawn they be pissed
2011 4x4 f250
2008 4x4 f250
1999 4x4 f250
5 fisher plows
2 fisher sanders
2010 kubota l4400
2007 kubota kx 161-3
2011 exmark navigator
2010 exmark navigator
2011 walker
2010 walker
2008 walker
2 7x16 trailer
7x14 trailer
6x12 trailer
Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
No offense to your area or neighborhood at all but that just sounds like a mess. I'm glad clients here don't have excuses like leaving the leaves on a curb? I'm not even sure how the city would come and do a good job gathering them up. I like to mulch them (if not thick obviously) or bag and haul and be proud of what that yard is supposed to look like when I'm done. Either way you look at it, leaf cleanups are great $ but If I was a client knowing the city would just come pick them up I would just rake them out wherever they needed to go. At that point why ever bother having someone just put them on a curb. Maybe I am misunderstanding. I am thinking you don't bag them and just put them on a curb or median right? That makes no sense to me. After a couple wind gusts you'd be back at square 1.

90% of the "cleanups" I do are not heavy debris oriented, so it doesn't leave the lawn looking brown at all. I'm just saying I would rather show up every week, blow, mow and blow than show up once and spend half a day bagging and hauling. This way the yard still has the nice "stripes" and lines like a normal cut. Thats just me though. After alot of experience and practice I love it my way. Not saying anyone elses way is wrong.
no offense taken....

it does create a huge mess. most every street you go down every house has huge piles of leaves either at the curb or in the median if there is one.

the city comes by 2 times during the season with front loaders and dump trucks on the side streets and they have trailer size vacuums for the busy streets.

i don't normally dump at the curb though. mostly because it's just doesn't look as good with a pile of leaves at the end of the property. but also because the wind will just blow the leaves around to either my clients property or others.

the city does an okay job getting them all cleaned up. not like a professional would though. there's always some left over.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

safe you hauling leaves off at less the town pick them up
2011 4x4 f250
2008 4x4 f250
1999 4x4 f250
5 fisher plows
2 fisher sanders
2010 kubota l4400
2007 kubota kx 161-3
2011 exmark navigator