Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

A few questions

Hey guy’s. I am thinking of joining the club and starting out too. However, there are some things I did not ask before. I would be very late to the game as I am in my upper 40’s. I travel a lot with my current line of work. I’m gone for several days at a time but home almost as many. I miss a lot of important days; birthdays, Christmas….well many others also. So looking to get dirty but stay at home and sleep in my own bed. I see several guys on here that seem to be young and starting out, but what about not so young? Anyway here are the questions.
What’s the plan as far as you’re working for years and then you retire? Do you plan to have made a boatload of money so you can just stop? At what age…how long can one keep this up? At some point, do you just count on your employee’s? I’m just not sure how long I could keep this going starting so late?
Also, could some one give me an example of what the commercial properties pay; let’s say a bank or something like that? Using the same amount of grass to be cut as a res lot. Comparing apples to apples. Could you make double, triple? I just don’t know.
Anyway, thanks guy’s. I’m just trying to see if I could, should or will try to make a go of it. I almost started at the beginning of this year but then moved in April and never got going if any of that helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i'm 35 and i'm just now starting...got tired of my other job too lol
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is someone on here by the name of J and D greens I think. Very nice guy, but he just retired from his job a few years early and went full time into lawn care. Might want to get in contact with him see what he has to say he might have some good advice to you. Best of luck. If you have an questions just shoot me a message.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am young at 22. Just started 4 months ago and have 19 regular customers. I plan on running a crew out of a box truck within two years. Commercial properties in my area pay in general between 60-260 for a half acre woth of grass. Generally you can bid a little more on commercial properties than residential. I have lost some this way though too instead of just sticking to my hourly rate of 55 dolllars per hour.

You need to ask youself how long can you do this kind of work then evaluate your buisness goal and see if it is reasonable. Anyone that has some common sense can for sure be running a crew withinn ten years of busisness start and be making a ton of money. I have had some damn good jobs. And this is the best thing I have ever done with my life. Best money I have ever made also. I usually make around 50 bucks an hour after expenses. Who else do you know that makes that much an hour? 5o answer your question about retirement. By the time I get to that point I plan on having a crew that I can trust to bring in a steady income for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just roll your 401k money into an IRA and put money into it each month just like you would at a normal job...about 5-10% of what you make..then you will have it there when you retire
Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

A few questions

Thanks guys. It all sure sounds great. One more strike against me is I am a disabled vet. Only 30% so I can still get around pretty good. You wouldn't know unless I told you or you saw me at the end of the day, less steady after standing or walking all day. It doesn't stop me, but I may pay for it later that night. Maybe a riding mower? I am an airline pilot and that will come to an end as a result in the up and coming years. So I'm thinking part time to see how it goes. BTW I only made 24K last year. We don't make what you think at my level. Mowing has always been where I do my best thinking, my quite time. So I like to do yard work but only have normal res stuff...sears riding mower, weed eater and I have a 5x10 trailer.
Anyway, thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah just use what you got and then you can buy a new mower when you get some money built up...good commercial mowers aren't cheap lol...they are $6000 and up
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot I started off with a 2 cycle lawnboy. I was mowing stuff that I had no business mowing with that thing lol. Working out of a pickup truck. Now I have an exmark wb I got a good deal on for a grand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I think I am going to bypass the fall and plan for spring. Still coming up with a plan. I don't have a truck, but I do have a one ton van. But it has a been in a wreck and the passenger side door looks pretty bad. I don't know if that will be ok or not. It pulls my 5x10 trailer very well though. What do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say start now. I wish I started earlier
Posted via Mobile Device