Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, Just make sure your butt is covered and go for it! We can't burn anything around here, Too many liberals worried about air quality. LOL, Cant even make a BBQ with briquetts sometimes.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Hedges are huge around here...most places we do maintenance on have them. Some can take a couple days with 4 or 5 guys easy....so its a big part of our business. Are you talking privet or ligustrum? Just try to estimate how long it will take, disposal fees, etc....and figure it in by how much you normally charge per hour to make a profit.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i went back today and checked it out....it's about 20 shrubs or so....figured it will take 2-3 hrs now...4 if everything goes bad lol....so i estimated the price of $100-$150 and they accepted...so i'm off tomorrow morning to do it...this is quite a big job for just a one man operation like mine lol....but i'll get it done
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Good man, tear after it. Post some pics when you finish up!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I did it today....took a little over 3 hrs but i got the job done and made $150....a little harder work than cutting grass but not bad for 3hrs or so of work lol...here is a pic of the front of the house...there were more bushes around the sides and back

oh and i did this with a craftsman 22" 19.2v battery powered hedge trimmer....i picked it up for $50 at a catalog return store...it came with a charger and battery and i got a spare battery as well....my dad also has 2 of the same kind of battery so i am able to use them as well....only went through 3 batteries doing this whole job....the 3rd one never went dead so maybe 2 1/2 batteries lol....the best thing about this trimmer is the weight....it is so light...easy to manuever it around

and it was more like 40 bushes total lol....some i had thought didn't need trimmed but i ended up doing them as well
Attached Images

Last edited by kilgoja; 09-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Very cool and clean! Thanks for the pic.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the support
Old 09-18-2010, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
...oh and i did this with a craftsman 22" 19.2v battery powered hedge trimmer....i picked it up for $50 at a catalog return store...it came with a charger and battery and i got a spare battery as well....my dad also has 2 of the same kind of battery so i am able to use them as well....only went through 3 batteries doing this whole job....the 3rd one never went dead so maybe 2 1/2 batteries lol....the best thing about this trimmer is the weight....it is so light...easy to manuever it around...
That is good to know. I've been tempted to buy some of those tools, just because of the convenience and ease.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

To be honest you learn on what to charge on these jobs with experience. I know how that feels when you first do those bids. We all have been there in some shape or form. You tell yourself you want to charge enough to make it worth your while but at the same time you don't want to sound outrageous and lose the business.

Its a learning curve. Estimate how long it will take in your mind and go from there. I have a hourly rate in my mind I try to adhere to. Most times I hit it, sometimes I miss it on the low side and occasionally I make out more than planned. Sound confident with your price when you present it.

If you underbid- mark it off as a learning experience and move on.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah exactly....it really is hard to nail it on the head sometimes...especially on bigger jobs...you never know exactly how long it's gonna take...but i guessed pretty good on this one and it worked out...even afterwards i'm always wondering did i charge too much or did i charge too little lol... i think it comes from other people who don't work in the lawn care industry...like to them $50 an hour is an outrageous amount of money to make...i think they don't think about all the costs that goes into it and such to run your own business