Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

3/4 acre, waist high grass and weeds, your bid?

I went out and looked at a yard today and honestly I don't think I'm going to even attempt to mow it. I have a 33 inch walk behind, but this property is so bad it needs a bush hog.

Has waist high weeds and grass throughout the entire property. Must not have mowed in a couple of months. Roughly 3/4 acre.

What would you quote for something like that?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$44/hr 4 hr min. Bushhog
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done that for 100 with a toro 60 inch ztr. Thats just mowing, no trimming and there were just a few trees. took maybe an hour, had to pass it twice to make it look decent.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah you will have to go over it twice...maybe once on the high setting then once on a lower setting....will prolly take 2hrs or so to do it
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think I'm even going to do it. I'll call the lady and give her the number of another local guy.

It's so high there is no way I'll be able to make it look right.

I was just curious what other people would charge.

I'm getting tired of people like this calling me to be honest. This lady makes a point to tell me that she's on social security, and her crippled son lives with her. And she needs me to do it because the last guy won't show up anymore.

What a pant load. She's probly really just looking for a cheap one time cut and I'm not going to give it to her.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPike View Post
I don't think I'm even going to do it. I'll call the lady and give her the number of another local guy.

It's so high there is no way I'll be able to make it look right.

I was just curious what other people would charge.

I'm getting tired of people like this calling me to be honest. This lady makes a point to tell me that she's on social security, and her crippled son lives with her. And she needs me to do it because the last guy won't show up anymore.

What a pant load. She's probly really just looking for a cheap one time cut and I'm not going to give it to her.
Theres a reason he won't show up anymore, she waits 3 months to call for service and wants to be cheap about mowing waist high grass. I would pass.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

pike you have that craftsman walkbehind thing? I wouldn't go anywhere near that with that setup. Also you never know what is lurking around in those weeds to kill blades and get wrapped up in your spindles.

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

haha this is funny because i just did a yard today...they only wanted the front yard cut and the grass was like a foot tall...didn't want any trimming or edging or blowing off....and wanted to pay $20 for me to do it lol.....i gave them a bid of $40 at first since i was thinking of doing trimming and all but eventually did it for $25..took maybe 30min to do it.....a one time cut i'm sure....i don't like those kind of customers but i'm not full yet so i have time to do it...eventually i want only steady all season long customers....if i get to that point then i will turn away people like this
Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradseabridge View Post
pike you have that craftsman walkbehind thing? I wouldn't go anywhere near that with that setup. Also you never know what is lurking around in those weeds to kill blades and get wrapped up in your spindles.
My Craftsman 33 performs better than I expected, but even still I'm never going to attempt to cut high grass and weeds with it. I can smell the smoked belt just thinking about it.

Even if I could cut it, it would look horrible. I'm definitely letting someone else do that one.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
haha this is funny because i just did a yard today...they only wanted the front yard cut and the grass was like a foot tall...didn't want any trimming or edging or blowing off....and wanted to pay $20 for me to do it lol.....i gave them a bid of $40 at first since i was thinking of doing trimming and all but eventually did it for $25..took maybe 30min to do it.....a one time cut i'm sure....i don't like those kind of customers but i'm not full yet so i have time to do it...eventually i want only steady all season long customers....if i get to that point then i will turn away people like this
I can get away with turning customers down because I'm only mowing part time. Long as I have my full time job I'm good.

I'm getting pretty good at detecting bad yards over the phone. But the story about the lady being on social security.... that seems like total hog wash. She lives in a very nice area where most people have in ground pools and every lot is 3/4 to a full acre. I'm not buying the poor poor pitiful me routine.