Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2002, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dump Trucks

For those of you who have dump trucks in your arsenal, what would you recommend? Looking to haul 5 yards or so of mulch....maybe grass clippings when mowing etc
Old 07-28-2002, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 93 chevy 1 ton dually with the 454 and manual tranny. I have it equiped with a Omaha Standard bed its awesome. I can haul anything I want. I also have a brand new 2003 chevy ordered with the big 8.1 gas motor and allison tranny that is going to have an aluminum dump bed put on it. They are big enough trucks to haul lots of grass and my 24' enclosed trailer and yet small enough to run my snow plows through parking lots.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

any GM you go with besure to get the allison trany... my cossin just EXPLOED his planetary gears in his 99 GMC 2500. cost him 2 grand. so looks like im getting a 99 and hes getting a dually with an allison!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of our trucks is a 1987 Ford F-350 Heavy Duty (today it would be a "super duty") dual rear wheel. It has a 460ci and a manual transmission. Even though it is only rated as a two-ton, it easily handles more (the most we knowingly hauled was 4.6 weighed tons of stone out of a quarry). It has a flat bed dump, with stake sides. We routinely haul 8 yards of mulch with it. The flat bed with stake sides is good, because it has more room than a regular dump bed. Hauling mulch isn't so much the weight, as it is the volume, you need a large bed that you can load.

One problem with the flat bed, is overloading. With heavy product, such as stone or topsoil, you can easily overload the truck. Another landscaper I know does not use flat beds, because he doesn't want his employees overloading it.

I prefer the power take-off hydraulic dump set up (where your hydraulic pump for the dump unit runs directly off the engine of the truck), instead of the electric dump unit. It has more power, and is quicker.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with an actual dump bed over a flat bed any day. They are so much better built, supper sturdy sides and a solid bulk head. I'm not afraid to put anything in my Omaha Standard.
My new truck is just going to have an AlumaLine polished aluminum flat bed with a 2' aluminum sides but this truck won't haul anything but grass so it won't need the super sturdy sides.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 88 F-Superduty with a 12x7 dump box and the heavest load I had in it was 8200 pounds and man was that heavy the truck did it but wouldn't want todo it everyday. A good load for the truck is 7000 pounds but you guys are right if you have a big box on the truck you sure can overload it with sand 3/8s minus or crusher dust etc.

I acutually need a 12 foot deck on my truck because I do alot of construction clean ups where you need the space the stuff is bulky. I also need a long deck for hauling lumber as I do deliveries for a guy that has a Woodmizer bandsaw mill. I'am selling the F-Superduty and going to a F-350 4x4 with the same wheelbase and I'am gonna put a 12x8 dump deck on it I need 4wheel drive to get into these jobsites I go on and need a true flatdeck a gravel box is too hard to strap loads down in.

I gotta get a diesel also the 460 in my other truck is draining my wallet dry everytime the truck hauls a heavy load as she sucks the fuel back pretty hard. Every time I drive by the local gas station (Live in a rural area) the truck automaticly turns into the station.

One last thing my truck has a PTO on the tranny that runs the hydraulic pump for the 3 stage telescoping hoist the only way todo shes really fast. I like it that way its just like the tandem axle gravel trucks I work with the 12v systems are slow and hard on your battery.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

you can get by with a dually one ton dump........be sure and get the hydraulic/pto dump....you will be glad u did......

as for flat bed with sides or dump bed, i guess that is more up to you........depends on what you want.....i agree the dumpbed is sturdier than a staked dump bed but both have their pro's and con's

me personally, i think i am gonna go with flatbed with stakes.......i may have my friend build me some metal sides instead of wood to make up the sturdiness

good luck
Old 08-20-2002, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas on where to buy 1 ton dumps? This spring there was 1 at a used car place here and it sold fast!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 1993 Chevy 1 ton dually dump for sale. It has a 454, 5 speed with a brand new clutch and starter. It has an Omaha Standard 8' dump bed(very well built piece). It is a white truck with a black bed with a new paint job and simulators. It's a really good truck and I'm not trying to get rid of it really. I just have 2 new chevys a 02 and an 03 that will be here in September.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Geez how can you afford the gas to feed the thirsty 454 it would be just like my truck with the 460, the steering wheel in the truck automatically turns the wheels right into the nearest gas station.

Diesel is the only way togo if you can afford it some times its just as cheap to run a 3 or a 5 ton with a diesel I find with my 450 I'am constantly overloaded and the customer says thats all you can haul

My F-Superduty is forsale and now its time to buy a tandem axle Kenworth heck I can deliver 1 yard of dirt if I have to atleast the truck won't be overloaded and probably burn less fuel :blob3: