Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2002, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

White pines, what type of borer problems?

I have a customer which I treat their lawn that has a problem with their white pine trees. The new candle growth has been dieing and has gradually died back to the eventually kill the trees. I noticed a massive amount of borer holes in afew of them about 2-3 feet from the ground. What borer would this typically be and what should be done, I would think its too late to treat for the borers within the trees now but would like some input.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do the leaders bend in a shephards crook??? If so, probably is the White Pine Weevil.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a question on this also. Called to look at a White Pine planted in 1865. 12 feet around and about 110 feet tall. Over the years branches have been dying off and they just had to take 2 more off. There appears to be a number of borer holes all over this tree. Sometimes its not easy to tell if there have been birds picking at it too. I have not had a chance to check my reference books yet. Any ideas:blob3:

Old 08-11-2002, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All mature Pines lose lower limbs normally. There just aren't enough 150 year old Pines left though. Rob, did this one predate WP Weevils? If so, the trunk should be arrow straight. Just wondering.

Ips Beetles: a bark beetle. little "shot holes" .25" or smaller. Attack stressed trees. Several types.

Black Turpentine Beetles: Usually Austrian & Jap. Pines. Not White Pines.

Grassguy, what kind of Pine? Both of these are normally "secondary infectors", whereby they're oportunistic & only invade trees in poor vigor. Trees are better than grass at disguising their ails. By that I mean the problems leading up to today probably go back several or more years.

How big & how many holes? How close together? When did they appear? What care have they had prior to now? What has the last 10 years been like? ie site/grade changes, construction, loss of neighbor, drainage work, paving, well drilling, etc..

Steve/ CT Arborist #62451
Old 08-13-2002, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tremor
After ding some more examining of the white pines I noticed not only the shepards crook at the new growth areas at top but the pitting on the bark. The pines are planted on top a bank along the perimeter of the property, well drained,. The owners have indicated that they have been losing them gradually for the past few years. The nursery they bought them from continues to tell them they need fertilized , and that is the only problem, well its obvious that's not the case. I figure it's either the Pine shoot beetle or White pine Weevil that KenH has indicated. the holes are very small, like shot holes but even smaller and sap is bleeding pretty heavily from them. Now that this damage is done, I wouldn't think to do any insecticde treatment will do any good this time of year will it? I figured that an injection of Merit in early spring will knock the eggs that are laid now for next season. Any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2002, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Grass Guy The poblem you have is what we call pine tip weevil. Here in ohio it is a real problem on many varieties of evergreens. Right now they are in the adult and larvea stage. If you remove the leader and see within the leader itself you'll see the larvea present tunnelling through the soft woody tissue. The best thing you can do now is to prune off the dead plant before the larvea exits the tree and falls to the ground beneath the tree. I tend to spray my pines in late April through May to control this pest and it works rather well. i use Orthene because of the localized systemic action. There are many names for this pest but pine shoot weevil is best explained the other in the business and the homeowner. If the pine is small enough a new leader can be trained to grow upwards.