Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

my question....and I have a pavers as a drive. so no more asphalt for me...

I never see the DOT sealing roads....so why do homeowners need to seal their drives?

educate me...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Well i never see homeowners re-paving every 5-8 years.... so there you go.

but notice the DOT does crack fill every year...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salopez View Post
Well i never see homeowners re-paving every 5-8 years.... so there you go.

but notice the DOT does crack fill every year...
exactly. Drives last 20 years or more. If they sealed every year they could just repave. I would rather have a new driveway.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

so the amount of traffic on a road has nothing to do with the reason for repavaing?

does the DOT use a different formulation of asphalt?

my street has not been paved in 10 years...
and I can drive on other asphalt roads of the same vintage which have not been repaved
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
so the amount of traffic on a road has nothing to do with the reason for repavaing?

does the DOT use a different formulation of asphalt?

my street has not been paved in 10 years...
and I can drive on other asphalt roads of the same vintage which have not been repaved
there are different mixes for driveway and DOT. DOT does not seal roadways. Cracks? YES. But half of those sealed cracks fail quickly anyway.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

so, whynot use the dot version of asphalt for your driveway?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
so, whynot use the dot version of asphalt for your driveway?
because most wont pay for it. They want the cheapest price. Dot uses 2 layers. The "base" layer is heavy with stone and then on top of that is the road mix. Most driveway contracters dont want to come back and pave twice and people want the cheapest price. If a driveway base was installed correctly and you put 2 1 1/2" layers min. It would be a lifetime drive.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re sealing in CT is a must! If your snow plowing and throwing sand and salt it won't last that long. Re sealing is very cheap. There is a famous guy in CT name Stutz seal coating. A normal driveway is about $100. He sprays it and has 3 mexicans and is in and out under 30 min! Some of my customers have him and they spend around $85-$300 for the windy long driveways every 2-3 years.

Most of customers have new homes on a new street and there fresh driveway is only in warranty if it gets seal coated if not it voids the warranty.

My driveway is 20 years old and is showing crakes and wearing from washing my stuff all the time and of course parking my heavy truck.

Most driveways that my clients cost around 3K-10K to have it re paved.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
Re sealing in CT is a must! If your snow plowing and throwing sand and salt it won't last that long. Re sealing is very cheap. There is a famous guy in CT name Stutz seal coating. A normal driveway is about $100. He sprays it and has 3 mexicans and is in and out under 30 min! Some of my customers have him and they spend around $85-$300 for the windy long driveways every 2-3 years.

Most of customers have new homes on a new street and there fresh driveway is only in warranty if it gets seal coated if not it voids the warranty.

My driveway is 20 years old and is showing crakes and wearing from washing my stuff all the time and of course parking my heavy truck.

Most driveways that my clients cost around 3K-10K to have it re paved.
your drive is near the end of its lifespan. Think about it. Roadways do not get sealed. On roads are very heavy traffic including trucks weighing up tp 80,000 lbs.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

this is not an apples to apples discussion....

roads are 6-10 inches thick depending on the area and the use... plus 6+ inches of base.

a driveway is usually 4 inches of base and 3 inches of aspalt. plus rarely do people spend the money to back fill the sides. you still get ups, fedex, the water truck coming up and down your driveway. if you maintan it a driveway will last longer.

streets in dc suck, and the city has no money. out here in MD they are currenly tar n chipping bad areas to save money on asphalt. really bad areas are getting patches...and worse re-paves. if someone did this on their home they would get alot more then 20 years out of a drive.

lastly there is no reason to seal every year...thats bad for the asphalt. look at parking lot that has parking spaces striped...most of them have cracks where they are painted. this is due to too much moisture getting trapped. same things happen to over sealed driveways.... they crumble from moisture. 3-6 years depending on condition is what we do. we also recomend highly that you fill cracks, since they will kill a driveway quickly.