Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
my question....and I have a pavers as a drive. so no more asphalt for me...

I never see the DOT sealing roads....so why do homeowners need to seal their drives?

educate me...
It's very different in very area, but the reason here in Canada they don't seal the highway, roadways is:

1)- They wouldn't let cars on for at least 48 hours for the drying time, this would be a headache with a lot of traffic going on.

2)- It would be very expensive to seal the highways/ roadways (but very little compared to paving.

3)- Roadways and highways are made with a much thicker base and thicker asphalt, they are compacted way more than residential driveways

*In short the asphalt for highways and roadways are made to LAST, good highways will be able to survive 30+ years in Canada with the harsh winter and salt we have. They build them very tough to survive traffic and heavy duty use.

Residential driveways are not the same, they are build way more cheap. Most driveways here that are 800 sq.foot will cost about 3gs to pave, and about 200$ to seal every 2-3 years.

residential driveways here have: 12inches of base, with 1-2 inches of asphalt compacted.

True fact: The 417 (one of the big highways in Ontario) has 24inches of base, with 6 layers of 2inches of heavy duty compacted asphalt.

That's why they don't bother sealing it because the asphalt is made to last, although they still do fix the cracks as some point.
Complete lawn care services
Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salopez View Post

lastly there is no reason to seal every year...thats bad for the asphalt. look at parking lot that has parking spaces striped...most of them have cracks where they are painted. this is due to too much moisture getting trapped. same things happen to over sealed driveways.... they crumble from moisture. 3-6 years depending on condition is what we do. we also recomend highly that you fill cracks, since they will kill a driveway quickly.
You don't need to seal every year, but the problem your talking about moisture is actually cause by some homeowner who seal every year with those buckets that you buy and they roll it on themselves. Those buckets are usually acrylic or latex, which is a paint that sits on top of the driveways. If you put to much of a thick layer, it will in fact suffocate your driveway. Every time the driveway expand and contract, it doesn't do that at the same temperature as the acrylic or latex that is on top, therefor it will crack even fast.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

4g for new driveway and 800$ for sealing???????????

where did you come up with these numbers???? sealing 10-15 cents a square, asphalt 4$ a sq to rip out and pave 2$ to pave average cost.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21eagle View Post
where did you come up with these numbers???? sealing 10-15 cents a square, asphalt 4$ a sq to rip out and pave 2$ to pave average cost.
you wont get anybody to seal a 2000 sq ft drive for $300. But they will pave it for 4g. Even if you sealed every year for 15 years thats $4500 at $300 a seal. Its throwing money away.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

15cents

im on long island and 15 cents a square is not bad. Maybe ill send you some cards and you could hand them out if noone will work for 15 cents a square lol
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do a mailer over here.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here an average driveway is 800sq foot. I charge 25 cents per square foot.

800sq/f X .25cents = 200$

I recommend sealing every 2 years.
In 10 years (assuming the prices stays the same)

You will have done the sealing 5 times = 1000$
New driveway can last 10 years but won't be the same as if you seal it every 2 years, guaranteed.

So, in 30 years, you will have sealed it 15 times = 3000$

With no sealing over 30 years, you would at least have to repave twice= 6000$
Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
Here an average driveway is 800sq foot. I charge 25 cents per square foot.

800sq/f X .25cents = 200$

I recommend sealing every 2 years.
In 10 years (assuming the prices stays the same)

You will have done the sealing 5 times = 1000$
New driveway can last 10 years but won't be the same as if you seal it every 2 years, guaranteed.

So, in 30 years, you will have sealed it 15 times = 3000$

With no sealing over 30 years, you would at least have to repave twice= 6000$
Thats a tiny driveway. The average drive here is about 2000sqf. so that wold be $500 to seal. 500-800 is the going rate here. do that every 2 years for 15 years? About $4000. The price to repave. I just dont see why people waste their money and then have to pave anyway.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont see the point in paying someone to cut my lawn but you dont see me over on your forum yapping about it, if you dont think its worth it dont get it done. Do you really think if it was as pointless as you make it sound that so many people would get it done?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratfordSealing View Post
I dont see the point in paying someone to cut my lawn but you dont see me over on your forum yapping about it, if you dont think its worth it dont get it done. Do you really think if it was as pointless as you make it sound that so many people would get it done?
Is that all you can add? Lawns grow and need maintenance. My unsealed driveway is from 1963 and still fine. I have never seen a driveway only last 10 years and very few people seal their driveways here. Sorry, i dont see the point. To make it look black?

SOLO OPERATION