Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where I live they commonly chip seal the local roads. They spray on a tar-like substance and then spread fine crushed stone on top of it. They used to just use sand years ago but now they used crushed basalt, a.k.a. trap rock.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotis View Post
You need to order the proper mix
It's not me, it's 95% of the company around here have the same shitty mix. The asphalt looks immaculate for the first 2 years, but that's about it.

I've only seen a couple of asphalts that were actually up to standard, they were pave by the same company who does the streets and highway. The asphalt had a 24" of GA and 3/4 base, compacted to every 4". They put down 4" of highway grade asphalt. I still pass by from time to time to see these particular asphalt and they are still in good shape. The problem is they cost 3times more to do than ordinary 1" thick asphalt.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotis View Post
I would like to see it also.
no problem, how many would you like? We have them all over town. I will post it up when i get a chance. Most homes were buit in the 60's and 70's in my town.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

How bout if we look at it this way. A paving company that does sealcoating wont tell you not to seal it. Correct?? And pavers that don't sometimes might say not to seal it!!!
If you don't care what your house looks like then who cares. Mulch or rotted leaves all end up the same and I hate mulching but I do it every year because 1- It looks nice and 2- My wife says to do it!!! Sealing adds appeal to a home and does add protection to asphalt when done properly!!! Biggest problem I run into is OVERSEALED driveways. I try to educate homeowner on what went wrong, and how to avoid happening again. Well I am off to seal a half dozen driveways. Late season start due to weather this year
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

O and the oil spot that is eating away at the asphalt that now has to be cut out and replaced Could have been save if it had been Sealcoated.. If you guys have nothing better to do then run your ignorant mouths go somewhere else.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coater View Post
O and the oil spot that is eating away at the asphalt that now has to be cut out and replaced Could have been save if it had been Sealcoated.. If you guys have nothing better to do then run your ignorant mouths go somewhere else.
? huh......?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Where I live they commonly chip seal the local roads. They spray on a tar-like substance and then spread fine crushed stone on top of it. They used to just use sand years ago but now they used crushed basalt, a.k.a. trap rock.

We are getting ready to CAPE seal some roads-chip seal followed by slurry seal. We've never chipped before, what do we need to tell our residents about this process? We are a residential community with above average homes, residents who expect the world and need to be real hands on. Any suggestions? If we were going to do your road with a chip then slurry a few weeks later, what would you want to know?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Chip and Slurry

If you are going to have this work done than that must mean the asphalt is pretty worn and in very bad condition. For parking lots and roads this makes sense because to have it resurfaced or ripped out and replaced will cost a lot of money. An honest seal coat company will tell you if it can or cannot be seal coated. The only alternative to resurface/rip-out and replace is chip and slurry. Make sure this is the only other option and they are not selling you on what's cheaper for them. Chip and slurry is way cheaper for them to do than sealing if they have the equipment, but could be totally unnecessary for you the customer and cost you a lot more. It also looks like crap compared to a properly seal coated asphalt surface.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

We advertise sealing as just a means to make the drive look better...not for increasing longevity.

Alot of rich people around here will call us 3-4 times a summer to get their drive looking good for a party.

One lady had her drive sealed 12 times this summer.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

That's crazy

The reason why you put it out there for cosmetic purpose is because you use oil base which only lasts about 1-3 months. Oil base sealers only purpose is to inrich the asphalt with the oils that dry ou over 1-3 months after being installed. This is an ancient method of sealing and quite frankly a waste of time for the home or business owner. Coal tar and asphalt based sealants will look like new after 2-4 years minus cracks opening which will happen regardless of what sealcoat you use. This is the most uneducated sealing post I have ever read.