Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Incline cutting

I need to buy a zero turn mower. I have several properties to cut that are on an incline. What's the best mower for incline cutting? I heard that Hustler holds an incline better that any mower because of it's low center of gravity. Also would a walk-behind with a sulky be better than a rider to cut an incline?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on how steep of an incline it is....anything over 15 degrees it's better to use a walk behind
Old 09-18-2010, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
depends on how steep of an incline it is....anything over 15 degrees it's better to use a walk behind
this is true, but i've taken my mower on a 30 degree incline, such as a ditch, some times it slide, some times it dosen't.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are determined to use a ZTR midmount. I would consider the Scag Turf Tiger or the Bad Boy Outlaw. I tested my Outlaw today pointing it downhill where my Exmark and Hustler Super Z would lose traction and slide the Outlaw rolls right down. But keep in mind with any of these , they all have a breaking point where you might get in trouble, none are perfect.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
If you are determined to use a ZTR midmount. I would consider the Scag Turf Tiger or the Bad Boy Outlaw. I tested my Outlaw today pointing it downhill where my Exmark and Hustler Super Z would lose traction and slide the Outlaw rolls right down. But keep in mind with any of these , they all have a breaking point where you might get in trouble, none are perfect.
Ya I expirenced that trouble last week! My mower slid right into a pond after I lost traction on my left wheel. I thought I saw a hustler with a roll cage on it once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The walk behind will always be safer on questionable inclines. You can always dismount from the velke and walk the incline. A bigger mid mount with really wide tires and a low center of gravity (our Gravely 152Z really fits this description) is pretty stable, but the walk behind is safer.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Why would anybody point their mower directly down hill if you can avoid it. Guy down here just died rolling his mower into a canal because he pushed the envelope. Like the other poster said, more than 15 degrees, & you are better off (safer) with a walker
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a difference between cutting a 30 degree berm with grass or gravel at the bottom and a 10 degree incline that goes down to water, a wall, fence, or cliff.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
There's a difference between cutting a 30 degree berm with grass or gravel at the bottom and a 10 degree incline that goes down to water, a wall, fence, or cliff.
True enough; but a midmount mower rolling on top of you at the bottom of a 30 degree berm with grass or gravel at the bottom is still going to hurt something, rollover protection not withstanding. An arm or leg will fly out, head, neck... etc.

I'm planning on living in one piece forever... or die trying.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Why would anybody point their mower directly down hill if you can avoid it. Guy down here just died rolling his mower into a canal because he pushed the envelope. Like the other poster said, more than 15 degrees, & you are better off (safer) with a walker
I mow in different directions on hillsides too. One needs to use common sense and to know where this slipping point is before going downhill in a dangerous area. My point was that some mowers are safer than others, pointed downhill and don't tell me you have not ever gone down a hill with a ztr. If you are not sure don't do it. I've mowed these same hills for 18 yrs with different ztr's , so I feel more comfortable and confident in doing so. I also always have an escape plan, whether it be speeding up and regaining control during a slide or if needed baling off before plunging into the lake.

Always know your boundaries or limitations, don't find out the hard way.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong