Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

to answer above, they are refering to cubic yards, a unit of meaure of volume of mulch.

anyways, we get bagged mulch dyed for about 2 bucks per bag, therefore it is very close to bulk price, stores easier and smaller footprint, and easier to haul around, plus faster to put into a wheel barrow vs pitch fork for bulk.

you guys have to buy in wholesale to get the best price on mulch. we buy fromt he source
Old 09-18-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have to compare apples to aplles though. If you are talking buying a yard of mulch in bulk to a yard in bags there is a price. If you are talking huge quantities in bags then there is a different price, the more you buy the better the price you will get at wholesale. If I get more then 30 yards bulk, my price drops to 18 a yard. Doing the math it still works out better.

We do lots of million dollar homes here as well. Many take 60-70 yards of mulch. We also do lots of more average 1 acre lots that take 12-15 yards. Again 10 yards in the stake body, slid (not shoveled) into wheelbarrows. A good guy with a wheelbarrow can dump mulch around any plantings so well that I barely have to rake it. I usually just follow along smoothing footprints, wheel marks and edges. This year my guys and I did over 1500 yards as well.
www.jessefrymaintenance.com
Old 09-18-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$10/yrd one place

$15 yrd another.

Bags = alot of landfill waste or recycle it still a pita to deal with.

Jobs under a yard then maybe yes.

04 duramax crew cab w/flatbed

21", 33" WB, Trimmer & blower let the lowballing begin yes I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Landscaping Design, Installing both Hard & Softscapes
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

like i was saying, we pay barely over bulk price for our bags per yd, BUT, we are way faster with bags than bulk, even with a power barrow. so we can get more done in a day which makes more money in the end. it is all about how you do it as much as the price of the mulch.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bags all the way unless yah have a open mulch job. Time is money.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Both products have their place but bulk is much cheaper here. I wuld think that if you were buying enough to get tractor trailer loads brought in then you could get bulk at a wholesale price straight from the grinder on let it sit in you holding area and any left overs could just be dumped back on the pile at the end of the day. I also understand only needing a wheelbarrow load and not wanting to have to deal with loadng bulk for a small amount, this is where bagged is a better deal. That's how I see it but everyone has a different way of doing things.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here a 3cf bag is 2.75. And I also cannot believe all the jobbers I see with trailers overflowing with bulk mulch. I think the price difference is only a few dollars per yard. It is a total pita as well as colossal waste of time shoveling mulch out of a trailer and then shoveling it out of the wheelbarrow.

Have you ever accidentily tipped a wheelbarrow full of bulk mulch? Have fun picking that up....

Spreading mulch from a bag is far easier then slinging it with a shovel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a little more info. The biggest mulching job I have ever done was about five minutes from where I live in Buda, TX. The flower beds cover are a little over 30,000 sq ft on a two acre property. We brought in a convoy of trucks from the mulch company to deliver 3510 bags. We used a Bobcat T190 skid steer with tracks to move the mulch over the property. The beds were really wide open so you could sling mulch like a crazy person.

Three guys did all the work in 84 man hours. If you put that into yards you'd be looking at 260 yards. We paid about $1.85 per bag and sold it for $2.99. We charged $1.25 per bag for labor. Normally we would charge $3.89 but this was a volume job. For the labor we would normally be looking at $2 - $2.30 per bag. We got the job done ahead of schedule and made about $6000.

I did not lose even a wink of sleep over have to dispose of 3510 empty bags. Last year I actually burned about 5000 bags at my house. You could probably see the black smoke from the space station! Burn baby burn. I threw a few tires on the fire just for good measure.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
this might be a weird question but what do you guys mean when you say a yard?...a yard is 3 feet right? so what am i missing here? lol....a square yard would be 3 ft x 3 ft right?...i've been out of school for awhile hahaha
Its measured in CUBIC yards....not square....
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bag mulch

we use 3 guys to do bag mulch...its faster and cheaper due to the labor involved in bulk..we pull a garden trailer behind the ztr, it will hold about 15 bags...one guy loades and drives mower, one unloads and dumps bags and one guy spreads....once you get it going its way fast....and we charge per bag...so much easier to keep track of....bulk has its place...and we use it once in a while....
Closed Thread