Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
Its measured in CUBIC yards....not square....
how big is a cubic yard? lol

why don't they just measure it by square feet? haha
Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If you know anything about Diesel trucks you should know they are underrated for the towing capacity for legal reasons. The 02' Ran 2500 I sold recently would tow 18,000 with no problem. But you must have Firestone or Pacbrake airbags on the axle to make your truck ride level. My 02' had a host of mods that boosted the output to about 600 horsepower and 1300 foot pounds of torque. I had it on a dyno several times.
I know a little about diesel trucks. I have been driving them and pulling travel trailers and fifth wheels for a little over 30 years.

If you are interested in what the DOT will have to say if hou hit someone while you are pulling a 23,500 pound trailer with a truck that has a GCWR of around 20,000 pounds I can help you out. You will need a mighty good lawyer.

You never did say what you are pulling this trailer with.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
I know a little about diesel trucks. I have been driving them and pulling travel trailers and fifth wheels for a little over 30 years.

If you are interested in what the DOT will have to say if hou hit someone while you are pulling a 23,500 pound trailer with a truck that has a GCWR of around 20,000 pounds I can help you out. You will need a mighty good lawyer.

You never did say what you are pulling this trailer with.
I ndont think his commercial vehicle insurance policy will be of much help I bet you did need a good lawyer.

I am in thew middle of a truck dilemma. I have been using my GMC 1500 ext cab z71 but fell I need more truck since I have added another ztr to the trailer this year and a mounted toolbox to the trailer. I just dont know wether to buy me a good used one (father in law is a dealer)or get a little newer one and just have one truck. He has his eye out for a cheap diesel for me as everything I do is less than 15 miles from home base and most is less than 10.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't stand using bags! It sucks ripping the bags apart then to find out it is hard to spread since the mulch is so compact and usually moist. I remember buying a customer Scotts mulch because she is obsessive over it. The color never matched and it was a nightmare. I bought another brand of bag mulch and it just took longer. My nursery where I buy bulk mulch is around 24 a yard. They are very fast. I am in and out in under 10 min!

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I did not lose even a wink of sleep over have to dispose of 3510 empty bags. Last year I actually burned about 5000 bags at my house. You could probably see the black smoke from the space station! Burn baby burn. I threw a few tires on the fire just for good measure.
Nice....burning plastic bags is great for the environment. Oh wait........no its not.

You should show us your mulch truck and trailer setup to give us an idea of how you have become so efficient.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 09' Ram 3500 4x4 with a 6.7. I used to pull 18K with my 02' 2500 Ram with a 5.9 Cummins. The new GM 3500's trucks are actually rated for towing 20K. If you talk to people who own backhoes, skid steers and other construction equipment you'll find 23.5K is not uncommon. I've also known some ranchers who pulled more than I do.

I've seen an F450 pull a forklift and six huge rolls of sod on a tandem dually. That load was around 30K. The truck must have had gears in the 4:10 range to be able to handle that load.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a picture of my trailer on the Pictures part of the forum. The tittle is Custom Built Gooseneck or something like that.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i have argued this point for years on here, no one will listen
well add one more on here that won't listen.

it could be better if you have employee's. but i really don't think it's better in the long run period.

i would much rather buy bulk even if it is more expensive in the end because it's easier to move, at least the way i do it it is.

i have a truck unloader. i put the tarp down, get a load in the truck and when i get to the site drop the tail gate, put the wheel barrow under it and crank some mulch into the barrow and dump it where i need it. then i go back and spread it out with a landscaping rake.

the time i did bagged mulch i regretted it 200%. the price of the mulch alone cost more plus loading the bags into the truck and unloading them at the job site was a pain in the @ss.

if you guys wanna buy bags go right ahead. but i can lay down a truck full of mulch a lot quicker and it's alot easier on me physically.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

All mulches are definitely not created equal. Muchles like Cypress are made for home owners. The stuff bleaches very quickly and looks old. Every try to blow grass clippings out of Cypress or pine bark nuggets? Not much fun. Trying to get hedge trimming out of crappy mulch is even worse. The damn mulch and all blows away.

The Texas Native Mulch we have in central Texas is great. After being irrigated a few times it settles down. It will not wash out easily like nuggets or Cypress. It is super easy to blows lawn clippings or hedge trimmings out of the beds.

Next time I go buy mulch I'll take some pictures of Austin Wood Recycling's operation. They have mountain size piles of mulch that are 60' tall and a few hundred feet wide. They pump water on the piles with a huge commercial size sprinkler rotors. The microbes in the mulch heat it up to close to 180 degree's. The microbes make everything turn dark brown. The microbes are like Mother Natures own staining process.

If you don't compost mulch long enough it will bleach and you will quickly be able to tell what is bark and wood in the mix. I have had many companies try to sell me their cheaper mulch but it did not meet my high standard. If you think all mulches are the same your in the wrong business. I put doing quality work I can be proud of ahead of maximizing the profit.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
All mulches are definitely not created equal. Muchles like Cypress are made for home owners. The stuff bleaches very quickly and looks old. Every try to blow grass clippings out of Cypress or pine bark nuggets? Not much fun. Trying to get hedge trimming out of crappy mulch is even worse. The damn mulch and all blows away.

The Texas Native Mulch we have in central Texas is great. After being irrigated a few times it settles down. It will not wash out easily like nuggets or Cypress. It is super easy to blows lawn clippings or hedge trimmings out of the beds.

Next time I go buy mulch I'll take some pictures of Austin Wood Recycling's operation. They have mountain size piles of mulch that are 60' tall and a few hundred feet wide. They pump water on the piles with a huge commercial size sprinkler rotors. The microbes in the mulch heat it up to close to 180 degree's. The microbes make everything turn dark brown. The microbes are like Mother Natures own staining process.

If you don't compost mulch long enough it will bleach and you will quickly be able to tell what is bark and wood in the mix. I have had many companies try to sell me their cheaper mulch but it did not meet my high standard. If you think all mulches are the same your in the wrong business. I put doing quality work I can be proud of ahead of maximizing the profit.
i'll admit i didn't read all the posts in this thread before posting but i don't think anyone said anything about all mulches being the same.

i to care more about doing quality work than maximizing the profit. to me the best way to maximize profit IS to do quality work. the happier the client is with you the longer they will be your client.

around here we usually mulch beds every season or every other season. i usually buy the died brown mulch for most clients.

it holds it color really well for the first season.
Closed Thread