Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You need to use a trailer not a truck for mulching. You let the mulch place load your pallets up for you. This way you able to put the bags straight onto the dolley. No unloading from a high truck bed. Super easy. If you have to manually stack bags in a truck or trailer your going to waste a lot of time. Plus you can't get much mulch in a truck.

I've seen many yahoo's throw the bags in a trailer in a huge cluster fruck pile. Then it's a wasteful pain to untangle the pile. Like I said prior I can load a dolley with 1/2 yard (six bags) in ten seconds easily. Try loading a half a yard in a wheel barrow in ten seconds. Not going to happen. Plus you don't see to many wheel barrows that can either hold 13.5 cubic feet or hold the weight if it's a single front tired wheel barrow.

One pallet of mulch is 4.8 yards. I can put 28.8 yards (six pallets) of mulch in my trailer. On an average job with a five man crew we can burn through the whole 390 bag load in 4.8 hours. That's 17,500 pounds of mulch. And best of all there's no damn back breaking shoveling. It is so much more efficient to move bags into high density beds and spread the mulch. My bags pop open with one clean jerk. You can turn a bad sideways and take it behind a hedge or other tight spot a huge shovel won't fit as well.

Pretty much all the big companies TruGreen, Valley Crest, Land West and on and on are all on board with bags for built out properties. They spend tons of money on consultants and bean counters to insure efficiency. Those companies didn't get huge because they are wasteful and don't know what they are doing.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
how big is a cubic yard? lol

why don't they just measure it by square feet? haha
3'x3'x3'=27 cu ft
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
You need to use a trailer not a truck for mulching. You let the mulch place load your pallets up for you. This way you able to put the bags straight onto the dolley. No unloading from a high truck bed. Super easy. If you have to manually stack bags in a truck or trailer your going to waste a lot of time. Plus you can't get much mulch in a truck.

I've seen many yahoo's throw the bags in a trailer in a huge cluster fruck pile. Then it's a wasteful pain to untangle the pile. Like I said prior I can load a dolley with 1/2 yard (six bags) in ten seconds easily. Try loading a half a yard in a wheel barrow in ten seconds. Not going to happen. Plus you don't see to many wheel barrows that can either hold 13.5 cubic feet or hold the weight if it's a single front tired wheel barrow.

One pallet of mulch is 4.8 yards. I can put 28.8 yards (six pallets) of mulch in my trailer. On an average job with a five man crew we can burn through the whole 390 bag load in 4.8 hours. That's 17,500 pounds of mulch. And best of all there's no damn back breaking shoveling. It is so much more efficient to move bags into high density beds and spread the mulch. My bags pop open with one clean jerk. You can turn a bad sideways and take it behind a hedge or other tight spot a huge shovel won't fit as well.

Pretty much all the big companies TruGreen, Valley Crest, Land West and on and on are all on board with bags for built out properties. They spend tons of money on consultants and bean counters to insure efficiency. Those companies didn't get huge because they are wasteful and don't know what they are doing.
i'll stick with bulk mulch in my truck thanks. the clients i do mulch for require 4 yard of mulch at most. i can fit 2 yards in my truck bed. i won't take on mulch jobs that i can do myself in a trip or 2. besides i do have a little 5' x 10' trailer i can haul some in if i need to but not much.

the way i do it works for me but it's good to know the information you just posted.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it is all out of necessity anways, you either use a big rig like mine or the OP, or you are doing it out of the back of a truck untill you realize no volume of work can be done that way. we have to do volume and have hundreds of mulch jobs everyyear. we buy two semi loads a year and growing
Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
it is all out of necessity anways, you either use a big rig like mine or the OP, or you are doing it out of the back of a truck untill you realize no volume of work can be done that way. we have to do volume and have hundreds of mulch jobs everyyear. we buy two semi loads a year and growing
hundreds of mulch jobs is not something i do. this year i have purchased between 10 and 12 yards of mulch. so i can get done what i need to out of the back of my truck. not to mention none of the jobs i have done were "together" they were all done one at time. one job this month another one that month and so on.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Pretty much all the big companies TruGreen, Valley Crest, Land West and on and on are all on board with bags
WRONG

in my 4 years at trugreen and 3 years at Valley crest... I was a purchaser. we went though 2 truck loads of bagged mulch per year out of 15K yards of mulch....

the cost saving on bulk mulch out weighted the bag. 2:1. So yes we had some jobs were we used bags. steep hills, office courtyards, ect. but by and large bulk was king. And then when we had the mulch blower...it was even easier with bulk...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

now we are talking, muilc blowers!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
now we are talking, muilc blowers!!!!
better to sub it out than own one. they are high maintenance beeches
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
WRONG

in my 4 years at trugreen and 3 years at Valley crest... I was a purchaser. we went though 2 truck loads of bagged mulch per year out of 15K yards of mulch....

the cost saving on bulk mulch out weighted the bag. 2:1. So yes we had some jobs were we used bags. steep hills, office courtyards, ect. but by and large bulk was king. And then when we had the mulch blower...it was even easier with bulk...
If you check out my "Home Run" thread it's a job we sub's out to a company that had a EBS blower truck years ago. The company had three blower trucks on the road all the time. When Diesel went from $1.25 to $3 or more they lost their ass. There are a lot of companies that can't give away their used blower trucks.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

blowers are still good on larger areas we use one at GU every 2 years on a a hillside we have to keep mulched. but the trucks cost a lot to keep running..
Closed Thread