Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I see exactly what he is saying and if he had worded his original post correctly he could have avoided this. He said that he resold the same bag of mulch multiple times.

According to his revised explanation he is now saying that he agrees to do a job for a specific amount of money. When he estimates the job he is consistantly over-estimating the amount of mulch required. That's fine as far as the customer is concerned. The bean counters would tear him a new one for it though.
OK...Apparently you don't get it. It's simple landscape customers pay a set fee for the mulching portion of the job no matter how many bags and man hours are required.

My bread and butter maintenance accounts pay for exactly what is done.

If you don't comprehend this I don't know what to tell you. It's not that difficult to understand. I've tried my best.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
OK...Apparently you don't get it. It's simple landscape customers pay a set fee for the mulching portion of the job no matter how many bags and man hours are required.

If you don't comprehend this I don't know what to tell you. It's not that difficult to understand. I've tried my best.
why gouge the landscape clients with a set fee? that means the guy who has landscaping done and needs only 2 yards of mulch will pay the same amount as the lady who had 6 yards of mulch put down.

that is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
WRONG

in my 4 years at trugreen and 3 years at Valley crest... I was a purchaser. we went though 2 truck loads of bagged mulch per year out of 15K yards of mulch....

the cost saving on bulk mulch out weighted the bag. 2:1. So yes we had some jobs were we used bags. steep hills, office courtyards, ect. but by and large bulk was king. And then when we had the mulch blower...it was even easier with bulk...
I can't vouch for other markets but in Texas I'm CORRECT. Here the price level is low enough for bags that the big guys use it. Just drove by a Valley Crest maintained HOA entrance and what do I see? Pallets of Texas Native Mulch sitting all over the place. If you call one of your amigos down here in Texas they can vouch for what I'm talking about.

In other small markets where bag prices are too high or bulk mulch is dirt cheap the bulk may be more cost effective. But here with Texas Native being $18.50 yd bulk or only $8.36 more bagged the bean counters chose bagged again and again.

Some mulch bags are difficult to open and it makes using bags a ***** but that's not the case here. If you have to use a knife to open bags that hurts you efficiency. The bags here pop open with a quick jerk of the bag and dump out smoothly most of the time. If we get a lot of rain the bagged may have a higher moisture content but the bulk will be the same way.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
why gouge the landscape clients with a set fee? that means the guy who has landscaping done and needs only 2 yards of mulch will pay the same amount as the lady who had 6 yards of mulch put down.

that is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!
Did you ride the small bus to school? You obviously have no idea how landscape estimates are formulated in this green industry of ours. Clients want a set price when they are getting ready to shell out thousands of dollars for landscaping. If I ask a client to write me a check for tens of thousands of dollars for a down payment they want a concrete figure.

Using variable figures on maintenance can work sometimes. On landscaping projects where the dollar figures tend to be much larger it does not work.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

What was the difference between what you said and I said? I completely understand exactly what you are saying.

I said: "he is now saying that he agrees to do a job for a specific amount of money. "

You said: "landscape customers pay a set fee for the mulching portion of the job no matter how many bags and man hours are required."

It's the same thing. If YOU can't understand that I don't know what to tell YOU.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Did you ride the small bus to school? You obviously have no idea how landscape estimates are formulated in this green industry of ours. Clients want a set price when they are getting ready to shell out thousands of dollars for landscaping. If I ask a client to write me a check for tens of thousands of dollars for a down payment they want a concrete figure.

Using variable figures on maintenance can work sometimes. On landscaping projects where the dollar figures tend to be much larger it does not work.
i didn't ride a bus to school, i walked.....

i would think just the oposite. if i were to shell out that much i'd rather have a min. and max number hoping it would be the min. number in the end.

i don't want to hear it's gonna cost $10,000. i'd rather hear it's gonna cost between $8,000 and $10,000 when your talking thousands like that. makes me feel better about the purchasing knowing i might not be spending the full 10k for the job.

variable figures on maintenance can work SOMETIMES??? how about most of the time. at least for me it does. i estimate ALL my shrub prunning jobs this way and ALL my fall cleanups this way. and it works great. the client knows it's not gonna be less than X but they also it could cost but won't go over Y. and 9 times out of 10 it ends up being the X amount and they are happier because it was the cheaper of the 2 prices.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
What TX DOT here looks at is your tire capacity. With my triple axle trailer and dually my max legal capacity is slightly over 35,000 combined (GCVWR). This actually gives me a cushion still of about 3500 more pounds I can legally tow. I have an exhaust brake and brakes on all three trailer axles. Stopping is not a problem.
Like it or not. Believe it or not. What you you can legaly tow is what the maker of your truck specified as the GCVWR of your truck, minus what the truck with equipment and occupants weighs. Make a call to your attorney or vehicle service department to find out. You sure don't have a clue as to legal matters.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Like it or not. Believe it or not. What you you can legaly tow is what the maker of your truck specified as the GCVWR of your truck, minus what the truck with equipment and occupants weighs. Make a call to your attorney or vehicle service department to find out. You sure don't have a clue as to legal matters.
Believe it or not GCWR is not a legal rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Believe it or not GCWR is not a legal rating.
As a matter of fact yes it is - after almost ten years in law enforcement with several as a motor vehicle compliance I know first hand when inspecting a vehicle the first thing the po-po looks at is that little sticker on the inside of the driver's door frame.

Also the VIN # has a specific coding which directly correlates to manufacturer's construction of that particular vehicle and that vehicle's compliance with prevailing federal compliance.

Many people hear in Texas operate under the disbelief that as long as their truck is capable of moving a trailer they are "legal" and this simply isn't true. The simple matter that there is a relative lack of knowledgeable CMV enforcement officers helps in aiding this incorrect perception. However, get into an accident or pulled over for a compliance inspection, and most drivers get a real expensive surprise in the form of several citations plus the vehicle being pulled out of service right there in order for compliance to be met.

Additionally hauling that much weight on a F350 or equivalent vehicle of similar size requires the driver to have, at a minimum, a Class B CDL, current DOT card, specific insurance covering heavier hauling and a vehicle with very very specific construction in terms of transmission, rear end gear ratio and amplified braking to be even remotely safe.

I'm not saying the original poster doesn't have a rare truck in this class which may be legal to operate but it doesn't mean it is safe as it seriously isn't. Maxing out a truck repeatedly in order to haul serious weight leads to accelerated wear on the vehicle, broken components and nasty accidents.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
As a matter of fact yes it is - after almost ten years in law enforcement with several as a motor vehicle compliance I know first hand when inspecting a vehicle the first thing the po-po looks at is that little sticker on the inside of the driver's door frame.

Also the VIN # has a specific coding which directly correlates to manufacturer's construction of that particular vehicle and that vehicle's compliance with prevailing federal compliance.

Many people hear in Texas operate under the disbelief that as long as their truck is capable of moving a trailer they are "legal" and this simply isn't true. The simple matter that there is a relative lack of knowledgeable CMV enforcement officers helps in aiding this incorrect perception. However, get into an accident or pulled over for a compliance inspection, and most drivers get a real expensive surprise in the form of several citations plus the vehicle being pulled out of service right there in order for compliance to be met.

Additionally hauling that much weight on a F350 or equivalent vehicle of similar size requires the driver to have, at a minimum, a Class B CDL, current DOT card, specific insurance covering heavier hauling and a vehicle with very very specific construction in terms of transmission, rear end gear ratio and amplified braking to be even remotely safe.

I'm not saying the original poster doesn't have a rare truck in this class which may be legal to operate but it doesn't mean it is safe as it seriously isn't. Maxing out a truck repeatedly in order to haul serious weight leads to accelerated wear on the vehicle, broken components and nasty accidents.
Class B LOL

If GCWR was a legal rating it would be on the door tag with the rest of the LEGAL ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Closed Thread