Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
PlantscapeSolutions's Avatar
PlantscapeSolutions PlantscapeSolutions is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buda,Texas
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Like it or not. Believe it or not. What you you can legaly tow is what the maker of your truck specified as the GCVWR of your truck, minus what the truck with equipment and occupants weighs. Make a call to your attorney or vehicle service department to find out. You sure don't have a clue as to legal matters.
What the DOT looks at is your axle weight ratings which is not the same as your OEM GCVWR. If I were a hot shot guy towing for a living I could register my truck with DOT to tow 48K if I wanted to. DOT doesn't give a crap about the OEM GCVWR. The OEM GCVWR is simply a marketing and liability number used by manufactures. The axles on your truck and trailer dictate what you can actually tow. Different states have different regs as well. Go to one of the many different hot shot websites and your point of view will be deflated very, very quickly.

Because the manufacturers do not know what will be towed behind your truck they have no way of telling you what you can legally tow. If I went by the OEM number I could only tow 13,850. What a load of crap. That number is so underrated it's ridiculous. According to that logic all the guys with tandem dually trailers that weight around 8K can only put about 6K on them. That would rule out towing the bigger skid steers, backhoe's and a whole lot of other stuff. See how silly your logic is starting to look.
  #82  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
liability number used by manufactures.
Things that make you say Hmmmmm
  #83  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
PlantscapeSolutions's Avatar
PlantscapeSolutions PlantscapeSolutions is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buda,Texas
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
As a matter of fact yes it is - after almost ten years in law enforcement with several as a motor vehicle compliance I know first hand when inspecting a vehicle the first thing the po-po looks at is that little sticker on the inside of the driver's door frame.

Also the VIN # has a specific coding which directly correlates to manufacturer's construction of that particular vehicle and that vehicle's compliance with prevailing federal compliance.

Many people hear in Texas operate under the disbelief that as long as their truck is capable of moving a trailer they are "legal" and this simply isn't true. The simple matter that there is a relative lack of knowledgeable CMV enforcement officers helps in aiding this incorrect perception. However, get into an accident or pulled over for a compliance inspection, and most drivers get a real expensive surprise in the form of several citations plus the vehicle being pulled out of service right there in order for compliance to be met.

Additionally hauling that much weight on a F350 or equivalent vehicle of similar size requires the driver to have, at a minimum, a Class B CDL, current DOT card, specific insurance covering heavier hauling and a vehicle with very very specific construction in terms of transmission, rear end gear ratio and amplified braking to be even remotely safe.

I'm not saying the original poster doesn't have a rare truck in this class which may be legal to operate but it doesn't mean it is safe as it seriously isn't. Maxing out a truck repeatedly in order to haul serious weight leads to accelerated wear on the vehicle, broken components and nasty accidents.
The only sticker on my door states axle weight ratings but does not state what you can tow. The AWR only dictates how much of the load my truck can legally hold on each axle. One restriction that does come into play in TX is the need for a CDL if your combined weight exceeds 26K.
  #84  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
The only sticker on my door states axle weight ratings but does not state what you can tow. The AWR only dictates how much of the load my truck can legally hold on each axle. One restriction that does come into play in TX is the need for a CDL if your combined weight exceeds 26K.
You can go to 36k with the right combination without a CDL.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #85  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
PlantscapeSolutions's Avatar
PlantscapeSolutions PlantscapeSolutions is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buda,Texas
Posts: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
You can go to 36k with the right combination without a CDL.
In Texas it either 24K or 26K for a CDL. This is a state law not a Fed DOT law.
  #86  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
In Texas it either 24K or 26K for a CDL. This is a state law not a Fed DOT law.
My previous statement applies for TX as well.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #87  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
My previous statement applies for TX as well.
I've been waiting sooooo long to use this.
Attached Images
 
  #88  
Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I've been waiting sooooo long to use this.
You forgot the " Copywrite Toby".
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
  #89  
Old 09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
bradseabridge's Avatar
bradseabridge bradseabridge is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 720
Doesn't federal law supersede all state law? That's what the keep telling me in my ADJ classes I'm taking. I don't know if it affects state and fed vehicle regulations.
__________________


Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
  #90  
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
You forgot the " Copywrite Toby".
How about this one.
Attached Images
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.08929 seconds with 8 queries