Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We frequently fill weird holes with gravel.

It's your call.

I will say this, and I know this thread has some age to it, so it may be too late:

MAKE SURE THE PROSPECTIVE KNOWS HOW YOU PLAN TO TACKLE THIS. This will make them feel more comfortable with you and will help you win the contract.

When we do things like this (fill stump holes, post holes, etc) I state it in the proposal. Then I go one step further and I will put the sentence in blue or red font so it stands out. Little details make all the difference.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Client says OK. So, concrete is the way to go.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Nah. Too expensive.

A footer mix will be jus fine................
I don't think you understand what he means by flowable fill. It's also called "slurry" or "lean concrete" by some. It's typically a 1 bag mix, or less, where a typical footing mix is around a 5 bag mix. More cement always equals more expense, thus the flowable fill is actually always cheaper.

It's also the more responsible route, as your not wasting the customer's money needlessly, wasting a valuable resource, and flowable fill is far easier to excavate in the future. I can't think of one downside to using it in a case like this.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just one question DVS: No matter what you do you won't be able to compact the surrounding sub-base to the density of the concrete, so if there is any settlement or slight movement of any kind in the ground your concrete fill won't move. Coudn't this cause disproportionate movement of the patio or wall above it?
I assume you cover the concrete with the same depth of compacted gravel as the rest of the area, but it's kind of like you are building part on a flexible base and part on a ridgid footer.
I'm not knocking your system, just never heard of doing it this way. If you've never had a problem with it I might have to consider adding this to my bag o' tricks.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes169 View Post
I don't think you understand what he means by flowable fill. It's also called "slurry" or "lean concrete" by some. It's typically a 1 bag mix, or less, where a typical footing mix is around a 5 bag mix. More cement always equals more expense, thus the flowable fill is actually always cheaper.

It's also the more responsible route, as your not wasting the customer's money needlessly, wasting a valuable resource, and flowable fill is far easier to excavate in the future. I can't think of one downside to using it in a case like this.

Not so fast there, Tiger.

Round here - Flowable fill is more dinero.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru75 View Post
Just one question DVS: No matter what you do you won't be able to compact the surrounding sub-base to the density of the concrete, so if there is any settlement or slight movement of any kind in the ground your concrete fill won't move. Coudn't this cause disproportionate movement of the patio or wall above it?
I assume you cover the concrete with the same depth of compacted gravel as the rest of the area, but it's kind of like you are building part on a flexible base and part on a ridgid footer.
I'm not knocking your system, just never heard of doing it this way. If you've never had a problem with it I might have to consider adding this to my bag o' tricks.
There is no magic to this. Not that dramatic. We're talkin filling a hole - not medical science

If a patio is being constructed, it's assumed that the soil is stable with no possibility of settlement.

The concrete can be stopped 8" from the top of you like.

Some folks hang their toilet paper over the front - some hang it over the back.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
There is no magic to this. Not that dramatic. We're talkin filling a hole - not medical science

If a patio is being constructed, it's assumed that the soil is stable with no possibility of settlement.

The concrete can be stopped 8" from the top of you like.

Some folks hang their toilet paper over the front - some hang it over the back.

the ground is ALWAYS moving through thaw freeze cycles. Concrete will not expand and contract through that the same as the surrounding soil. I t would seem to me not to be a good idea to do but if it works for you. I never put anything under a paver patio that will not have even lifts to it. But that is just me.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To each his own. Wanna use gravel - then use gravel. Wanna use jelly beans - the use jelly beans. I really don't care. 14.5 yrs and we use concrete, problem free. Nowhere do I tell anyone what to do. Just sharing how my fine enterprise does it.

Pavers are placed over concrete slabs all the time. A gazillion scenerios.

A typical winter In MD / VA may entail 1 deep freeze for maybe a week. Usually pretty mild.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
To each his own. Wanna use gravel - then use gravel. Wanna use jelly beans - the use jelly beans. I really don't care. 14.5 yrs and we use concrete, problem free. Nowhere do I tell anyone what to do. Just sharing how my fine enterprise does it.

Pavers are placed over concrete slabs all the time. A gazillion scenerios.

A typical winter In MD / VA may entail 1 deep freeze for maybe a week. Usually pretty mild.

no problems laying over a slab. Were not talking about a slab.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
no problems laying over a slab. Were not talking about a slab.
Hence, the qualifier line: "a gazilion scenerios"

Regardless, who cares. If theres a way that you think is better - then do it.

I simply shared a method that works for us. "US", a company with hundreds of sucessful jobs under our belt. Don't Like it - whoopie. Like it - Great!

I feel like we're at a meeting in a room full of PTA moms.............

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 09-21-2010 at 03:17 PM.