Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Reduce Property Damage

Most of the accounts i maintain are larger commercial and condo/hoa associations. A big problem this season is property damage, siding/downspouts, ac units, obstacles like this as well as vehicle damage. We spray some kill zones around downspouts, siding & ac units and have even installed mulch beds around some areas. The problem still persists, we are at budget already for the year. I would love to hear anyones ideas that have worked well to solve this problem!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I do in my weekly meetings is bring up the damage and ask the employees what we can do to reduce or eliminate these problems. I also tell them the more they brake the less their bonus will be at the end of the season. I had that problem years ago and now it is much less likely to happen.

James
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your guys are running into them with mowers?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

come up with a 1 ft rule anything that can be damaged etc needs to be trimmed with a trimmer not mowed. also implement a bonus/profit sharing program like james said

most of these problems are from employees that dont care, give them a reason to care
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hitting things has never been a problem. EVER Those things just do not happen or, at least up to now. Sounds like you may need a 5 foot rule. Try that for a few weeks to see how they enjoy trimming more. I would say after that they will get the message. It's hard enough to make money doing this let alone having to pay for siding and such. Rule number 1 go slow enough to be safe and to get a good cut and fast enough to make a reasonable profit. That has got to be hard explaining to a customer(s).
Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've broken 2 windows in nearly two decades. Both extreme flukes. But I can imagine employees could wreak havoc with your profitabiliy. There are so many ways to be careless and damage stuff. And the guys working out there hardly seem like the most concientious folks in the world to me. I see some on ZTR's bouncing off things like it's bumper cars.

It really creams your bottom line, as a window could negate 2 months' revenue on a residential. Any property I take over usually has pretty decent fence damage, trees nearly girdled by string trimmers, mailbox posts damaged, etc.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Guy View Post
Most of the accounts i maintain are larger commercial and condo/hoa associations. A big problem this season is property damage, siding/downspouts, ac units, obstacles like this as well as vehicle damage. We spray some kill zones around downspouts, siding & ac units and have even installed mulch beds around some areas. The problem still persists, we are at budget already for the year. I would love to hear anyone's ideas that have worked well to solve this problem!
Yeah, that sounds like a fictitious problem. Siding, I can see. that sh*t disintegrates sometimes. How do you damage a down spout? If you hit it, get off the mower and bend it back...AC unit? What you ran over it? Something aint right with the question....

Quote:
Any property I take over usually has pretty decent fence damage, trees nearly girdled by string trimmers, mailbox posts damaged, etc.
I have that same problem. What do you do in the case there is excessive preexisting damage???

97' ISUZU NPR (16' bed)
John Deere F687 60" 7iron w/MCS
John Deere GS30 36"
John Deere GS45 48"
John Deere JS45 21"
Stihl FS80 Pro Trimmer
Stihl FS46 Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
BRD-280 Bed Redefiner
Echo PE-280 Stick Edger
Echo SHC 212 Hedge Trimmer
Bluebird 24" De-Thatcher
Olathe 88 Plug Aerator
Gatormade 6x18 Trailer (custom)
Yard Machines walk-behind Edger
Craftsman Lawn Vacuum/chipper
2-Homelite BP250 backpack blowers
McCullock FR56 Trimmer

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i prevent damages by knowing how to properly use my equipment so there is no need to spray kill zones or mulch around anything.

i know accidents happen but it's not that hard to prevent most damages. i really don't see how anyone could be damaging siding, ac units and vehicles all the time. i'm assuming the damage to the siding and ac units is from the mower itself and thats just careless operation. you can't just get on a mower and go full blast everywhere.

i make 2 laps around the perimeter before starting my rows. the first lap is carefull and slow. the second lap i pick up speed and then after that it's full speed ahead. when trimming i always try to make sure the debris will fly away from the clients house or vehicles. if it's not possible i "throttle down" in those areas.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i prevent damages by knowing how to properly use my equipment so there is no need to spray kill zones or mulch around anything.

i know accidents happen but it's not that hard to prevent most damages. i really don't see how anyone could be damaging siding, ac units and vehicles all the time. i'm assuming the damage to the siding and ac units is from the mower itself and thats just careless operation. you can't just get on a mower and go full blast everywhere.

i make 2 laps around the perimeter before starting my rows. the first lap is carefull and slow. the second lap i pick up speed and then after that it's full speed ahead. when trimming i always try to make sure the debris will fly away from the clients house or vehicles. if it's not possible i "throttle down" in those areas.
That's all you can do.... Spray kill zones? maybe on the edge of a cliff or I see that on highway fencing.

97' ISUZU NPR (16' bed)
John Deere F687 60" 7iron w/MCS
John Deere GS30 36"
John Deere GS45 48"
John Deere JS45 21"
Stihl FS80 Pro Trimmer
Stihl FS46 Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
BRD-280 Bed Redefiner
Echo PE-280 Stick Edger
Echo SHC 212 Hedge Trimmer
Bluebird 24" De-Thatcher
Olathe 88 Plug Aerator
Gatormade 6x18 Trailer (custom)
Yard Machines walk-behind Edger
Craftsman Lawn Vacuum/chipper
2-Homelite BP250 backpack blowers
McCullock FR56 Trimmer

Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

im a manager for a bigger company and this was brought up in our last safety meeting i wanted to ask for some outside opinions and get some ideas. Before some of you guys think its crazy and unheard of to have damage like this think about what it would be like if you ran 17 3to5 man crews alone. Most of the damage is done by trimmers, yes its nuts but they zip siding with grass growing up to it as well as downspouts over time trying to trim the grass growing around them. same with ac units, chewing up the bases and cooling fins, busting wires. Condos are notorious for having grass groing up to these things especially in backs. Kill zones a couple inches off of things has helped the most. posts and trees are victims too. Some damage is by mowers sliping on a grade or in a turn and smacking a downspout or something. Johny 9.00 an hr. gets to use a mower now because hes been dong so well in training i walk away and he slipped or jerked into something. i had a tech this spring move up to a walk behind. did great in training and on "safe" practice properties for several weeks so i let him mow some backs at a condo, a women was out gardening and he wanted to ask her to move for a minute, he forgot to lock the right side of the exmark and it spun around with the blades on, plowed through her flowers before he let go it was in the middle of her garden and the rear tire was on his foot... its like potty training my kids, they still have accidents lol. walk onto a large condo or apartment or large commercial and you will see damage like this it is fact. we get blamed for other companies damage going into seasons, what we do is literally walk the property with a camcorder and record the prior damage and then show it when it gets brought up, it shuts them up quick just like pictures in court lol. I started out in residential and stuff like this really never happened now i work with these hourly employees trying to train them constantly. they damage too much trying to learn, or learn then quit caring or have a bad month or whatever and there gone and i have another one...but stuff is still damaged from the last guy. its and ongoing problem with running so many crews, you cant always keep your thumb on them we have in house training and encourage c.l.t. certification or l.i.c.t. as its called now. I like the 1 foot rule. we try bonuses but it doesnt have much affect, the line i hear seems to be "well if you pay me more i'll do more, or better" those guys dont last long....holy cow im long winded