Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone in the south do fall clean ups?

I want to have something to do in the winter. How would you start offering this service?
Stihl FC95
Stihl FS110R FS90R
RedMax 8050
Husqvarna Saw

www.PremierTurfManagement.com
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would just go back on your normal grass mowing schedule...i'm still cutting grass but leaves are falling already....then when the grass stops ask them if they want you to run over the leaves
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes leaf cleanup is very previlent here in the South. However the main bulk of leaves has not fallen yet. I haven't started my marketing for it because of this, but you want to wait right until they do. Typically customers will not respond to advertisements until leaves are everywhere, which is a shame.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah unfortunately that's how most customers are...they wanna wait until the leaves have all fallen and they are a foot deep in their yard before they call someone to come clean it up lol...do your best to try to get them to let you just keep cutting them as they fall rather than waiting until it's a big mess
Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
Yes leaf cleanup is very previlent here in the South. However the main bulk of leaves has not fallen yet. I haven't started my marketing for it because of this, but you want to wait right until they do. Typically customers will not respond to advertisements until leaves are everywhere, which is a shame.
I've noticed that you make a whole lot of references to being in the south. Politically you are. As far as your plants are concerned, you're not really in the south. Almost all of TN is in the Transistion zone. Or put this way. If you're in the south then so is MD, DE, NJ and part of PA.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could also look at it this way... If fire ants are a problem in your area then you're definately in the south.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All of my customers (that have trees) expect me to keep the leaves and acorns cleaned up. The live oaks start dropping leaves soon then dump in early spring. The water oaks have started dropping their leaves. Usually I pick up several neighbors of customers but I advise them I would rather pick up leaves weekly rather than to wait for all of them to fall. In the long run the money works out about the same but is easier for me to schedule. I charge for regular mow plus $6/55 gal bag picked up.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've noticed that you make a whole lot of references to being in the south. Politically you are. As far as your plants are concerned, you're not really in the south. Almost all of TN is in the Transistion zone. Or put this way. If you're in the south then so is MD, DE, NJ and part of PA.

Well based on that map part of northern Washington state is in the south based on that logic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You could also look at it this way... If fire ants are a problem in your area then you're definately in the south.
fire ants are plenty here.....and no fall clean ups....whats fall?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess if you are in the transitional zone or where the leaf litter is substantial, then you either are doing cleanups already or you don't.
I have always considered leaf cleanups as a crucial part of the turf grass maintenance program. (If you are set up to do this!) If you don't keep the leaves off of hybrid grasses, you will have dead spots. If a customer is paying good money to have a quality lawn then why not offer them cleanups. It seems pointless not to keep up on the leaf litter. City codes and most or if not all HOA's will recommend cleaning up clutter.
For the life of me, I don't understand why you don't unless you aren't set up for it.
We make more money during the winter months doing cleanups. Some are easy and some are difficult. We are set up for either two week cleanups or one cleanup before each major Holiday. These are quite a bit more to charge than doing the mowings and mulching down the material.