Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreendude View Post
Jason,
Looks like you've done pretty good this year. Did you get another lazer as well as the vantage to ? I'm still debating if I want the vantage or get a toro 597 for this big 75 acre park I'll be bidding on, I guess I could use the vantage to follow behind like a toro 455-d ? I also have an 18 horse power billy goat on order and I'm super exited to try it out. Also if you had a 75 acre park to bid what would you put in for the price ?
Thanks,
James
If i hada 75 acre field to mow, no obsticles or anything. With two mowers cutting at around 7 mph. Thats around 5 acress per hour per mower. Thats 10 acres per hour and prob around 10 hours with mowing, using less than the 60" deck, and trimming, edging(if needed) and cleaning up. If you think about your expenses. 10 hours per week could be 750 dollars to mow if your labor rates are 75 per hour. As far as i know , i wouldnt even want to mow that if i wasnt getting at leased 600 per day. If it took me two days i would charge accordingly to my overhead and equipment wear and gas prices.

Biding something that big is up to you and your company. I cant bid for you because we are two different companys. Add up how many lawns you can mow in a day and how much each lawn is pulling in. Lets say 30 lawns a day at 35 each. That is 1050 for the day and you are moving from property to property in between. If you could do this in the same amount of time charge a little less because your using less gas, and figure the pricing for YOUR company out. I would charge around 750-800 for that. Mainly because i would rather to a lush green lawn than a brown field. Just me. I like making my work look perfect. And 75 acres of straight lines is pretty hard to do.

Let me know if this helps. and if you get the winning bid. good luck

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-26-2010, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
I'm not sure if it would make a difference but when I got my new tires I told them it towed a trailer nearly every day of the week, they did my alignment specifically for towing so the tires would wear better. I also put a heavier ply tire on as well and it seems to help quite a bit.
What do you think the best tires to get are? for a 20 inch rim

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonglandscaping View Post
What do you think the best tires to get are? for a 20 inch rim
Great looking rig and exceptional looking work. For the tires, I have the GoodYear Eagle something or another for the 20 inch rim, but for a ford. My dad has a 1500 just like yours and he just put on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on his truck and loves them. Definitely a heavier ply tire will be better for lots of driving and towing, but they dont ride as soft as say a P rated tire.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonglandscaping View Post
hah i hated the look when i got it too. It looks so peuni. I tried to make it look like the 2500 power wagon. I want to paint my front upper bumper the power wagon color and my door moldings like the power wagon too. And then get som A/T Since my new 280 dollar tires are bald after 6000 miles this summer. I hate shelling out cash for tires once a year cuz i have the trailer on my truck 5 days a week.
hahaha when I first saw the truck the first thing I thought was it was a power wagon so you're doing a good job on it!

I hear you about tires, I blew $750 on a set of cooper s/t's and they lasted 10,000 miles and were BALD! We only used them for plowing too! Cooper basically told me to eff off so last time I buy them...

speaking of plowing will you be this winter?
(2) steel rakes
(1) plastic rake
(1) electric ryobi trimmer
Old 09-26-2010, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my truck. Pretty aggressive A/T tire in my opinion, they've got pretty decent side lugs and they have done really well in all conditions so far, I can get through mud with no problems, even towing. I haven't gotten to try them in snow yet though.
The second picture is one of the back tires, almost 6,000 miles and no noticeable wear yet....
Name:  09-26-101.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  09-26-102.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  63.9 KB

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 09-26-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my truck. Pretty aggressive A/T tire in my opinion, they've got pretty decent side lugs and they have done really well in all conditions so far, I can get through mud with no problems, even towing. I haven't gotten to try them in snow yet though.
The second picture is one of the back tires, almost 6,000 miles and no noticeable wear yet....
Attachment 200453

Attachment 200454
wow those do have some nice tread left! mine are as old as your or a little newer and the wear bar is completely bald! i think that is crap. Im going to talk to the bell tire guys tomorrow where i got them put on

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQL10 View Post
Great looking rig and exceptional looking work. For the tires, I have the GoodYear Eagle something or another for the 20 inch rim, but for a ford. My dad has a 1500 just like yours and he just put on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on his truck and loves them. Definitely a heavier ply tire will be better for lots of driving and towing, but they dont ride as soft as say a P rated tire.
Thanks for the comments. I am going to research tires a lot before winter months hit us hard. I will definitly keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks

Insured and Licensed
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
hahaha when I first saw the truck the first thing I thought was it was a power wagon so you're doing a good job on it!

I hear you about tires, I blew $750 on a set of cooper s/t's and they lasted 10,000 miles and were BALD! We only used them for plowing too! Cooper basically told me to eff off so last time I buy them...

speaking of plowing will you be this winter?
Im glad to hear that it is looking like one, i want to get the heavy duty rims, and a winch mount in front. I think that would make it perfect, and the painting. But about the tires! i hate maintenance charges on my truck especially tires. They should be lasting so much longer than they actually are and im not even a crazy driver. I have a fricken trailer on. haha.

I also had a problem with my front rotors. MY car is sitting in the shop now. I got my brakes and rotors redone last thursday because on the highway my car was shaking like crazy when i was breaking. (shaking side to side).... When i got my car back on thursday night, i was breaking and my brake pedal was pulsating like crazy. I went on the highway with my trailer and practically lost control of the truck it was so bad . Keep in mind these were brand new rotors and pads. I couldnt figure it out so hopefully the guys who installed them can. It was seriously really dangerous.

About plowing. I actually got around 25 commercial industrial accounts from my employees uncle who owns all the buildings. I am going to, hopefully soon, but either 2 f-350's or 2 f-250's with v-xt plows on them. And either put a blade on my truck or get a f-550 dump that is forsale right by my house for a really good price. All the trucks are going to be 2010. The 250 or 350 will be a 5.4 v8 triton and the dump will be a 6.3 diesel. I am really hoping to get the first pre-payment no later than October 20th so i we can get these trucks. The accounts themselves are around 30,000 sq/ft parking lots and a 20ft road around the whole property that can just be windrowed to the sides. and range from 800-1600 per push plus salt.

Im really excited about snow this year. Hopefully it can give my company some momentum to grow double or tripple in the next couple years.

Insured and Licensed

Last edited by DLONGLANDSCAPING; 09-26-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add about plowing
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a lot of work to just hand over to someone younger with virtually no experience in the snow removal aspect. You better have a good insurance coverage and keep up on those places. I bet they have a zero tolerance policy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also how in the world are you getting financing on three new trucks??
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device