Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man I think that yard looks really good. The 21" wheel marks look great to me. Nice job!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just because a yard has stripes doesn't mean it's manicured. This guy has a great attention to detail.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, edging and everything look nice, but I'm not real big on the wheel marks either. You may try a PVC pipe filled with concrete as a striper. Did that on my 21" and love it. Looks like your truck could use some help with that trailer. May AAL's or timbrens?

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to all for the comments, both positive and negative. As far as the "striping" i mentioned, I never meant to infer that I considered this yard striped. I was referring to the fact that this grass simply does not lay down like some of the other grass I've seen on here.

If anyone has suggestions on how to not leave tire tracks when mowing, I'm all ears.

As for the help on the trailer, yea, the truck is a little underpowered, '95 1500 with about 80k miles on it, but it gets the job done. gets 7mpg when pulling but I don't travel much more than 2 miles for any of my properties, my furthest commute is 5 miles. If you are referring to the angle of the trailer, I think it's the perspective of the picture. also...AAL's or timbrens? not following there.

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain View Post
Thanks to all for the comments, both positive and negative. As far as the "striping" i mentioned, I never meant to infer that I considered this yard striped. I was referring to the fact that this grass simply does not lay down like some of the other grass I've seen on here.

If anyone has suggestions on how to not leave tire tracks when mowing, I'm all ears.

As for the help on the trailer, yea, the truck is a little underpowered, '95 1500 with about 80k miles on it, but it gets the job done. gets 7mpg when pulling but I don't travel much more than 2 miles for any of my properties, my furthest commute is 5 miles. If you are referring to the angle of the trailer, I think it's the perspective of the picture. also...AAL's or timbrens? not following there.
Thats why I suggested the concrete striper. It lays the grass over pretty good I've found.

And AAL's are Add A Leafs, they beef up your current leaf springs to hold a heavier load better. And timbrens are just bigger bump stops than what your truck has from the factory. They don't let it sag so much when under a heavy load.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use anything to stripe my Bermuda accounts other than a piece of PVC pipe filled with gravel on some occasions. I don't even use it half the time and my accounts have defined stripes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks real good. We have nothing but Bermuda around here as well, and on the thick ones, there's just no way (that I've found) to NOT leave wheel marks, especially with a 21". They usually go away pretty quickly, however. The only yards I see that don't have them (if they were mowed with a 21") are the ones cut really short, and most customers don't want that.

To folks that don't know, trying to mow thick Bermuda without leaving wheel tracks is kinda like vacuuming without leaving the marks on the carpet. No matter how bad you DON'T want it to happen, it just does anyway. Bad thing is, it seems like, the nicer they lawn, the worse they show up.

Anyway, Gravy Train, your work looks top notch to me. I'm sure your customers are very happy.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You obviously take a lot of pride in your work. Keep it up.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Yard looks sharp and so does the edge. Is there anyway to not get the wheel marks? I get the same thing on my lawn. What about using a reel mower? Would that help?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting it with a reel mower would definitely help, especially if you cut it shorter. But reel mowers are expensive, kinda slow, and most folks don't want to pay to have that service. I'm no expert (since I've never used one), but you should check out some of the lawns featured in the "Post Pics of Bermuda Lawns" thread. Just awesome.