Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Stump Removal

I am currently working on a job removing some over grown shrubs and some pine stumps. The pine stumps are about 1-2 feet from a deck. They stand 2-3 feet tall and are about 3-4 inches in diameter. The owners would like to eventually plant the bed that the stumps are in so I would like to find a way to remove as much of the stump as possible. I have never used a stump grinder and wanted to know if it was possible to use one in this situation. Any ideas that anyone has would be great!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Go to your local rental company and take a look at the grinder you are most likely to rent. The self driven grinders have a large rotating disk that grinds the stump, and the disk swings back and forth under hydraulic control. Sometimes the hydraulics are "loose" in operation so a slight correction can move the rotating disk more than you expect. It also looks like some of the stumps are close to the deck. I would reduce them down closer to the ground before grinding.

Take these pictures and visit you local rental company, and ask their advice.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can take those tiny things out easily with the cheapest grinder from Home Depot rental.

Might want to get a chainsaw or sawsall to knock them down to the ground first though!

As far as planting new stuff, you are going to need to do twice the work to eliminate the stump completely with all the rooting gone. If you were planting grass all you would need is a couple inches and could get away with that, any new plants will require there to be no trace of the roots whatsoever.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, thanks for your input. I was just curious to see if the stump grinder would do the job or not. As to the sawing, I was planning on cutting them down already, I am also cutting down a few gigantic taxus.
Thanks again for the help guys
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Pine does not have a very deep root.....they may just pull out with your truck and chain.....worth a shot first
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Pine does not have a very deep root.....they may just pull out with your truck and chain.....worth a shot first
Ok, I will give that a try as well. I have dug out a few small taxus in the past and know that they have a pretty large root system. Has anyone ever tried to pull them?