Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Employee Benefits

Looking to figure out a plan with this because as of now we don't really have anything set...anyone willing to share their structure on how they set up employee benefits? Would like to get some more ideas on what you guys in the same industry are doing. What do they get the first year, after 3 years, etc....

Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

my benefit package includes:
1)$20 a day paid cash
2)free ride from the border
3)housing (got 40 guys living in an old barn)
4)let em use 1st aid kit for their heath care
5)free water out of hose
6)weekly showers in the shop
7)and I turn a blind eye to mid day naps

And people say this industry doesn't take care of employees?

no seriously all my guys are local and I pay top dollar. also offer health ins after 60 days, 1 week of vaca after 1 yr and an additional day for each yr after, looking at ira's but not enough interest from guys. usually give out year end bonus to good emp and occasional use of equip.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what about paid holidays?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman55 View Post
my benefit package includes:
1)$20 a day paid cash
2)free ride from the border
3)housing (got 40 guys living in an old barn)
4)let em use 1st aid kit for their heath care
5)free water out of hose
6)weekly showers in the shop
7)and I turn a blind eye to mid day naps

And people say this industry doesn't take care of employees?

no seriously all my guys are local and I pay top dollar. also offer health ins after 60 days, 1 week of vaca after 1 yr and an additional day for each yr after, looking at ira's but not enough interest from guys. usually give out year end bonus to good emp and occasional use of equip.
Nice list

Am wondering same-do you do any sick days and if so, whats the structure on that?

What percentage do you pay towards health insurance?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

no holidays as they have 40 hr a week to do anyway so holidays mean weekend make up. I pay 50% ins, no sick days they can use their vacation. And as I said wages are at the top of going rate. can be hard to compete with companies whose package is like my first part of post (I know of 2 larger ones that operate pretty much that way)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i havnt done it yet, but i like the idea of a 2 month bonus program. give the guys on a crew extra pay if they come in under budget on hours, low fuel usage, no lost equitpmet, no broken equitptment, no lose of business, no "bad" phone calls, things like that
Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

• Pay top wages.
  • Paid lunches and coffee in the morning in season (no one wants coffee when its 90 at 5:30 am).
  • Uniform service, we split cost with employees.
  • Up to $150 for health insurance per month, this covers most all employees, can add family to our group plan at their expense.
  • Paid vacation 1 week per year, add a day per year, ceiling at two weeks per year and must be used within one year, cannot be rolled over.
  • Paid horticultural classes/ seminars.
  • Paid certification tests like ISA or ACLP etc.
  • 4 day work weeks.
  • Clear path from laborer to owner operator with training for a career not just a job.
  • Great tools and a good plan, great co-workers and work environment, strict rules for everyone.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply.

If you wouldn't mind or if you prefer by pm, would you mind elaborating on a few questions I posted after your list in blue?

Pay top wages. What is considered top wages where you are? What does a foreman or manager get as opposed to a laborer?
Paid lunches and coffee in the morning in season (no one wants coffee when its 90 at 5:30 am).
Uniform service, we split cost with employees.
Up to $150 for health insurance per month, this covers most all employees, can add family to our group plan at their expense.
Paid vacation 1 week per year, add a day per year, ceiling at two weeks per year and must be used within one year, cannot be rolled over. Does that mean that you must use the week vacation each year, or whatever you may have, otherwise it is lost and will not accumulate?
Paid horticultural classes/ seminars.
Paid certification tests like ISA or ACLP etc.
4 day work weeks. You guys work just Mon-Thurs 10 hour days?
Clear path from laborer to owner operator with training for a career not just a job. Does this mean you are training your employees to be able to learn enough so that maybe one day they will have the ability to do it on their own? I don't quite get the "laborer to owner operator", I would think you want to keep employees long term...maybe I am reading it wrong.
Great tools and a good plan, great co-workers and work environment, strict rules for everyone. Would you be able to go through some rules? Do you have an employee handbook outlining this? Which is something else I need to do...

Thanks again for your time!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domain311 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

If you wouldn't mind or if you prefer by pm, would you mind elaborating on a few questions I posted after your list in blue?

Pay top wages. What is considered top wages where you are? What does a foreman or manager get as opposed to a laborer?Each position has a pay range, its not important what my pay range is unless you are in Phoenix.
Paid lunches and coffee in the morning in season (no one wants coffee when its 90 at 5:30 am).
Uniform service, we split cost with employees.
Up to $150 for health insurance per month, this covers most all employees, can add family to our group plan at their expense.
Paid vacation 1 week per year, add a day per year, ceiling at two weeks per year and must be used within one year, cannot be rolled over. Does that mean that you must use the week vacation each year, or whatever you may have, otherwise it is lost and will not accumulate?Exactly I want my guys to take vacations they need to have balance it makes for better family life and that makes for better employees
Paid horticultural classes/ seminars.
Paid certification tests like ISA or ACLP etc.
4 day work weeks. You guys work just Mon-Thurs 10 hour days? Tues-Fri 10 hour days
Clear path from laborer to owner operator with training for a career not just a job. Does this mean you are training your employees to be able to learn enough so that maybe one day they will have the ability to do it on their own? I don't quite get the "laborer to owner operator", I would think you want to keep employees long term...maybe I am reading it wrong. Its your job as the owner to keep employees satisfied, if you put a ceiling on their ability to grow or earn money they will leave anyway. Its up to you to figure out a way to make them want to stay, I can't give away all my tricks
Great tools and a good plan, great co-workers and work environment, strict rules for everyone. Would you be able to go through some rules? Do you have an employee handbook outlining this? Which is something else I need to do... Employee handbook is a must as is an operations manual for each position.

Thanks again for your time!
Employee manual outlines the company rules, employee conduct, how to handle unique situations, what are the benefits, how do I get them, etc. Don't kid yourself people crave structure and it is sorely missing in our society today.

Operations manual clearly outlines what tasks each position is to perform and how to perform the tasks. I have spent decades doing this work and between myself and former employees I think I know the best method to water pots or line trim. I would prefer each of my employees use these methods.

One thing I emphasize is my method may not be the fastest or it may not even give the absolute best result. What it will provide is the method that is most likely to provide a consistent end result that is safe and will meet or exceed the clients expectations. That is the guiding principal in my operations manual.

and no I wont e mail, Pm or fax it to you.

Don't start down that road unless you are committed to not only finish the documents but to train and enforce the policies once completed. If your not its a colossal waste of time.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 09-26-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman55 View Post
no holidays as they have 40 hr a week to do anyway so holidays mean weekend make up. I pay 50% ins, no sick days they can use their vacation. And as I said wages are at the top of going rate. can be hard to compete with companies whose package is like my first part of post (I know of 2 larger ones that operate pretty much that way)
Ditto.

We use a "paid time off" policy rather than a sick or vacation time off. PTO gives the employee the choice, use all your days for vacation and get sick - time off without pay.

35% increase in health care premiums this year -