Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking at a Woods 6215

I am looking at a Woods 6215 with a Kubota diesel. I do not know much about Woods, but I think that it is a Grasshopper 721D with Woods paint on it. It had around 700 hours on it and I do not know the age. The dealer says it is 10-16 years old. Any help would be appreciated. What should I look for?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

About 1994 or 1995 were the last years that the Woods machines were built by Grasshopper. anything newer than that, and it is hard to tell who built it. After Woods and Grasshopper split, Woods tried building them on their own for a while, until Grasshopper stopped them with a patent infringement lawsuit. Then, Woods contracted out their mower building, to whoever they could find that would do it at a price Woods wanted to pay.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone got any experience with these mowers?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The serial # is 766889.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought it

It is in great shape, I am glad I bought it. Can't wait till spring, the mowing season is over here.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Very clean looking mower. Not sure, but it looks too new, to be one of the machines built by Grasshopper. Looks more like one of the Grasshopper clones.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozarLawnCare View Post
Can't wait till spring, the mowing season is over here.
Huh? you can't put it away
Put a cab on it and throw a snowblower on the front.
The {snow}season is getting ready to start.

Good job grabbing that one up, good luck with it.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the new Grasshoppers with the hood over the motor is manufactured by Ariens. I'm not sure where Woods is with the new models. I think there still linked together in some ways.

The Woods had a problem with a few of the models in the middle 80s with the hydro was undersized. But I think they fixed it before the 90s models came out. Close relative found this out first hand. I have a older Grasshopper, done a lot of refurbishing to it. Parts for the Grasshopper are 20% cheaper in most cases. Its the same part but different part # than the Woods part.

All in all Wood/Grasshopper have been around for a long time and have mostly stayed in the high end residential and commercial units. Easy to fix and maintain,well designed, heavy duty mowers.
I love there Ag tires and the deck load equalizer springs as a great improvement traction problems. Once you use it and get accustom to its handling you most likely keep it and have another. Around here most all the guys that mow cemeteries use Grasshopper front mount for the their better control and handling around gravestones. For me the only down side is the so dam long and it takes up a lot of trailer and garage space. It takes some getting use to the longer tail length behind you. I have banged into more than a few buildings and fences with the back of the mower making a quick turn as I pass next to building. It is so much longer than my other ZTRs. But you get use to it and not have a problem.

Last edited by dhardin53; 10-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lets get this correct and stop any rumors.

1. Grasshopper makes ALL of their own machines. Not one of their models is built anywhere else, except in the Grasshopper factory.
2. Grasshopper is no longer connected to Woods in any way, shape, or form. That contract relationship ended back in the mid 90's.
These are the FACTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
I think the new Grasshoppers with the hood over the motor is manufactured by Ariens. I'm not sure where Woods is with the new models. I think there still linked together in some ways.

The Woods had a problem with a few of the models in the middle 80s with the hydro was undersized. But I think they fixed it before the 90s models came out. Close relative found this out first hand. I have a older Grasshopper, done a lot of refurbishing to it. Parts for the Grasshopper are 20% cheaper in most cases. Its the same part but different part # than the Woods part.

All in all Wood/Grasshopper have been around for a long time and have mostly stayed in the high end residential and commercial units. Easy to fix and maintain,well designed, heavy duty mowers.
I love there Ag tires and the deck load equalizer springs as a great improvement traction problems. Once you use it and get accustom to its handling you most likely keep it and have another. Around here most all the guys that mow cemeteries use Grasshopper front mount for the their better control and handling around gravestones. For me the only down side is the so dam long and it takes up a lot of trailer and garage space. It takes some getting use to the longer tail length behind you. I have banged into more than a few buildings and fences with the back of the mower making a quick turn as I pass next to building. It is so much longer than my other ZTRs. But you get use to it and not have a problem.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on the new machine Mr.Rozar, with only 700 hours it should serve you well for many years. Kubota diesel is all good! They run great on a
heavy-duty diesel-rated oil like Shell Rotella T, I use 15w40 with good results.