Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What mower am I describing?

I would like to get a new 36" mower but I don't know what I want. Here are the qualifications that I am looking for. Maybe you can make some suggestions.

1. It has to cut good in all conditions. Something that cannot handle tall or wet conditions is definitely out - the Quick 36.

2. It has to have a low weight to tire size ratio. A 600 lb machine on a 6.5" tire is okay in dry conditions but it is definitely not ideal. It will leave marks in Bermuda even in dry conditions. The Quick 36 is ideal here. I want either really large tires or a really light weight or both

3. It has to steer itself - no single hydros. That leaves out the Ferris Hydrocut. Belt drive is fine.

In a nutshell, I want a Ferris Hydrocut with dual hydros or Toro T-bar controls but of course they don't make that. Any other suggestions?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get the toro gear drive floating deck with the tbar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you find this mower, let me know. I cut a ton of Bermuda as well, and I know what you mean about the tire tracks. I've come to the conclusion that there are times of the year when you're gonna leave tracks, no matter what machine you use. A 21" will even track it up sometimes.

Other than the weight/tire size thing, I think my Bob-Cat walk-behind fits the bill perfectly. I've only had it a few days, but it poured rain the first day, and then I cut an overgrown lawn of thick thick THICK (did I meantion it was really thick?) Bermuda. Deck never clogged up once, and made it look good, no clumps. When it's dry, it's even better. Overall, a top-notch cutter (even leaves stripes on some lawns, which I thought was impossible around these parts), and it has the Z-controls, which I'm learning to love. Very maneuverable machine.

Like I said, the weight-to-tire size may be a concern (I haven't had any issues yet, but I haven't had it long). Book says it weighs 524 lbs. dry, and the rear tires are in the 6.5 inch range. So we'll see what happens there.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Get the toro gear drive floating deck with the tbar.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd choose this also. A fixed deck 36" would be a little lighter but the floating deck ease of height adjust would be worth the weight to me. I believe floating deck models might have wider tires too, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys must be mowing the non-hybrid Bermuda at taller settings. The low cut stuff doesn't show wheel marks at all. In fact I can use a one-wheel velke on it where I can't on other types of turf.

I find when mowing Bermuda tall the ZTR with big fat tires does better. If that is too big for your lots maybe some sort of stand-on with fat tires? Or is this gate size limited to 36"?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the OP, but my customers don't want their Bermuda cut short. The industry standard around here is to start the season off at around 2" and gradually work the height up to around 3" by the end of the season. So, yeah, wheel track city..... I do keep mine shorter at my house. No wheel marks there. Also, my 36" machines are all that will fit thru most gates here. I don't know about Tulsa, however.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
2. It has to have a low weight to tire size ratio. A 600 lb machine on a 6.5" tire is okay in dry conditions but it is definitely not ideal. It will leave marks in Bermuda even in dry conditions.

You're not supposed to be using a rotary mower for mowing Bermuda anyway.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark Viking comes to mind...its got the 6.5" wide tires and weighs only 573lbs. The only thing it doesn't have is a floating deck.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And if you're going to be cutting in wet conditions, the gear drive is out. Go with hydro. With gear drive, it gets wet enough, and you have slippage. Once it starts slipping, you'll be slipping for the rest of the cut, and then some.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have yet to find a mower that cuts nice, thick and lush Bermuda while it is wet or espicially with dew that does not clump and choke down. Out of the walkbehind 36/32 mowers I have owned I will say for side discharging my Quick 36 has by far the best cut on Bermuda with its short build. I will say it stinks for mulching unless you are taking off about .25" though.