Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2002, 04:06 PM

Drainage Prob.

Just got a good rain last night. I went to the baseball field I maintain and took a couple of pics of the problem area's I'm trying to tackle. The infield dirt is ag-lime, and every time it rains over an 1", these low spots always fill up with water. I always fill in these holes with ag lime, but it seems that it just doesn't help. I also put more there after games where they have slid into the bases. Can anyone help and tell me what to do about this??
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2002, 04:07 PM

Notice on pic #1 that the infield sprinklers don't do a good job of coverage in the infield..More on that later
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2002, 04:09 PM

Last one
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Banned

I think you have been doing what you need to by adding more dirt to those areas. Nice field, I wish I had a ball feild to work on.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with a ballfield. I just spent fifteen minutes typing a response and lost it whan I submitted it, so I am retyping a condensed version.

I installed 12" catch basins around the perimeter of the infield, and at the backstop behind home plate. This field flooded EVERY time it rained, mainly because the grade was bad. The infield would flood, the coaches would broom away the water (and the brown aggregate), and the result was not only deeper divots, but a rim behind all of the bases that held water. This field was one of thee with lights, on a seven field complex.

The 12" basins should not interfere with play (the customer wanted the basins), and they are all connected using 4" tile, and feed into a 15" basin beneath the bleachers. This basin is connected to two 4" tiles and discharge 300' away. I intended to use 6" tile, but my trencher was a hair too narrow, and as this was a nighttime installation (this field is used every day), my solution was to run to the store and use two 4" tiles, stacked. The capacity of two 4" is only slightly less than one 6" tile.

After finishing the basins, I regraded the field, adding nearly 40 tons of material. The end result is this field, which was never usable after a rain, is now the first available after a rain. There were no complaints (from a usually outspoken group of people), and most were never aware I was even there. Other than the basins, the only sign was the cut in the asphalt walk, which I had to do to run the discharge across another infield and out 300' away.

The caretaker (a volunteer retiree) will still have to maintain the field, but this was a solution to help (hopefully) reduce maintenance needs (which were never met before).
Old 08-13-2002, 11:25 AM

conepile-
are those 7 fields irrigated?
Old 08-13-2002, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are professional products that can be mixed with the existing soil to improve drainage. "Turface" is one that comes to mind. Sort of like kitty litter in apperance and function in that it can absorb as well as give back moisture which is important in workability and playablity. There are recommendations on how much to use and how deep to till it in.

The basin approach works. What works even better is the flat drain products, bedded in sand. You still must discharge somewhere. With the flat drain you then have no inlets to worry about. However you must be sure that you solution is properly "engineered" as there will no go backs on rototilling in more mix later.

There are also professional field mixes available and they are not al created equal. Here in southern NJ, one company has a pit where it is mined and is of high quality. It can also be blended to the right mix for sand and clay. Particle size is also important. One outfit that is cheaper has a lot of fine grit that tears up skin and uniforms. Their mix also has a higher clay content making it like concrete when dry.

I've done it and it works.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I neglected to mention the fields are not irrigated. This was an issue where every single time it rained the field was not usable for an excessive amount of time.