Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

You will be able to do what ever you put your mind on! Everyone has their opinion but they are not you. I do 12-13 properties per day, have done it for years solo. I dont care to share the money with anyone. Yes, some days really suck and some arent so bad but the money is all mine! I have a 48" wb a 27" tru cut and a 22' push mower and some yards take 15-20 minutes and others take 1.5 hours and the avg route covers 23 miles. I avg $300 per day!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain View Post
I'll argue against it. I've used them both. Granted, the Z was only on loan for a weekend while my WB (48" TTHP) was in the shop. Around here, lawns are two hilly and bumpy to typically use my WB. On top of that, with lots of trees and obstacles, I can get a lot of places that the mid-mound Z's could never imagine getting to. This saves a ton of time on trimming which counters the time gained with the larger deck/faster speed.

Especially getting started, I'd say a WB will get the job done. As for the numbers, I spent less on my truck and more on my trailer, but those numbers are pretty close to what I started with, and don't forget to take into account marketing. Without any marketing, there is no way you can make money.
So WB's are bad for hilly or bumpy lawns? I was told they are better than a Z. I agree with you on marketing. Direct mail, phone book, craig's list, door hangers. Open to any suggestions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Side Up! View Post
You will be able to do what ever you put your mind on! Everyone has their opinion but they are not you. I do 12-13 properties per day, have done it for years solo. I dont care to share the money with anyone. Yes, some days really suck and some arent so bad but the money is all mine! I have a 48" wb a 27" tru cut and a 22' push mower and some yards take 15-20 minutes and others take 1.5 hours and the avg route covers 23 miles. I avg $300 per day!
That's encouraging. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
25 a lawn?

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ok, so you bust your butt and make $300/day. Lets look at it this way. 2 man crew does 20 lawns/day. Avg lawn is $35. This 2 man crew is grossing $700 per day times 5 is $3500. Take away payroll...$15 per mhr(probably a bit high). That would be 80 mhrs per week. That takes $1200 out and we're now at $2300. Lets take out $1000 for the various expenses of running the crew(way high). You now are left with $1300. I don't mind paying out $2200 per week to bring home(before taxes) $1200 and I don't have to do any mowing. I can focus on other parts of my business and make money there too.

JMO
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
Ok, so you bust your butt and make $300/day. Lets look at it this way. 2 man crew does 20 lawns/day. Avg lawn is $35. This 2 man crew is grossing $700 per day times 5 is $3500. Take away payroll...$15 per mhr(probably a bit high). That would be 80 mhrs per week. That takes $1200 out and we're now at $2300. Lets take out $1000 for the various expenses of running the crew(way high). You now are left with $1300. I don't mind paying out $2200 per week to bring home(before taxes) $1200 and I don't have to do any mowing. I can focus on other parts of my business and make money there too.

JMO
You've got the right idea. That's where I want to be in a few years. Maybe that's overly ambitious. I imagine you plan to replicate that structure. My rough draft of what iwant to do in business is almost exactly what you described.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a goal of 50 accounts that average $40, you're going to need a ZTR. I don't care if it's 50 accounts that average 15 min per job, walking is going to get real old real fast. And what are you going to do when it comes leaf season? You plan on emptying a side bagger all day long. Do yourself a favor. If you're serious about it start looking this fall for a nice used ZTR, maybe a 52" Lazer with a couple hundred hours on it w/ a bagger. You'll have enough walking in with trimming let alone walking each damn lawn.

Oh, and don't shoot for a $300/day average. At the end of an average season that's $40k gross. Take your expenses away and you may as well work at WalMart.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seasonal work in michigan and you'd ***** about 40k gross on a solo low overhead lawn business.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post

JMO
You make a good point and I agree some of those costs are probably way high. The only issue is that you're assuming he can secure 20+ lawns a day and finance the equipment needed to run a crew that size right away. Being brand new to the business he might need a few years to build up to this.

In that case, 50 yards a week IS entirely doable for the size of lawns you are doing. Get your routes as tight as possible each day and you'll probably be done by early afternoon.

And I do think that a nice 48" hydro WB is the right choice for that size lawn. They are versatile, cut great, and are generally very reliable. I'd consider adding a 36" wb to your set up though as a lot of those smaller residential yards have small gates as well and a 36" will save a ton of time over a 21".
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep OP you will have to build it up.
You may only have 10 lawns the first season.
Also, you have to determine what is best for you. If you are a family man, you don't want to be out mowing 7A-7P every weekday. Despite what other guys are saying here, you can make money at this no matter what size you are at. I am doing it.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13