Register free!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Firewood equipment

Don't know if never on the board means this topic is undesirable but with the cost of heating oil and (in my area) the huge loss of mature trees it is nice to see wood being used productively.

Just added a 24 foot conveyor to my Timberwolf tw5 with all the options and will pick it up Sat. Anyone else care to discuss this money making alternative?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 PM

Nice --- all we use is a good ole husky splitter and an arms throw. Dont sell much wood here. Mainly make our money in the winter off snow.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 PM

treevet, how does this work out for you? is it something you have always done or is this something new you are trying to get into?

I have a friend who has done this in the past, but not real aggressively...mainly just sold wood as an add on service
Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donovan View Post
treevet, how does this work out for you? is it something you have always done or is this something new you are trying to get into?

I have a friend who has done this in the past, but not real aggressively...mainly just sold wood as an add on service
Yeah Mike, I have just dabbled in the past in selling firewood and always had a woodstove and a splitter. Then a few years ago we were getting in mass dead trees so I added a Timberwolf TW5 with all options. I have a truck crane in my lot so I fabricated a bin to split into and then boomed it into a pile or dump trailer and disconnected 2 chokers and it dumped.

The return on what is put into firewood still wasn't that good but it more than made up for it when I bought this wood burning add on. No heating costs.

Then last year I sold out in November where before I sometimes had wood left in the spring. I may have sold too cheap. Now this year I have sold 5 cords last week at a higher price of $250-per cord delivered and dumped (along with the usual tree jobs). I can easily do 6 a day and that makes a decent off season or bad weather day. This conveyor will make it a breeze connected to the tw5.

Firewood is a totally different commodity than it was say 5 years ago.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM

thanks for letting me know treevet...sounds like you will stay busy and now it seems to have gotten a little easier as well :cool:

keep us updated on how it goes

have a good one
Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 PM

Attachment 21

This is the new addition I spoke. Wish I could get involved with the snow removal stuff like KCMatta spoke of but you cannot depend on a good snow here. I have done it in the past in another area though and had some good winters. One year we had 4 feet of wet snow and I did alot of damage though.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:07 AM

sweet machine, thanks for the pic

I know what you mean with snow...can be hit and miss, great to be plowing when the snow is here though :cool:
Old 09-13-2008, 12:39 AM

That is so true especially because of the lack of alternatives caused by the snow. Look out the window and watch other guys rake it in. I am hoping to fill some niche jobs with my Dingo with a snowblower and bucket. I have a couple of 4x4 trucks but I am real reluctant to drop that kind of money on the plows. Gotta have a place to store them the 90 plus percent of the year they are not used too. I don't have much space.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 AM

depending on your amount of labor you could get into management for a large snow company and have a sidewalk crew. just a thought or go on down and rake in from ike
Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 AM

we have thought of getting into selling firewood here. Just need to find a good supplier. so we can resell.

I do not think it would be worth getting a splitter and or conveyor at first for us. being we are not a large company. We may though next year being we are starting to get a few calls for tree work now that we have started advertising for it and I have decided I will climb for us even though I did not want to but we haven't gotten many applications for it and none where serious that we did get.