Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain, Rain, Go Away

I swear. This year has been a year of extremes. We had a nasty cold winter for this area. Then a wet spring. Then a drought with many days over 100°. Then a decent period with some rain. Then 6 weeks of drought and now we've gotten almost 7 inches of rain in 3 days and they're forecasting up to 10 inches over the next 36 hours. I can't catch a break.

It's totally screwing up my schedule too. I run a tight schedule and my customers know that I'll be at their house at about the same time, week after week. I have a couple of customers with kids and the customers know to clean up their yards before I get there. Now it's getting all messed up. Hopefully I'll be able to get it straightened out next week for the run into fall.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I swear. This year has been a year of extremes. We had a nasty cold winter for this area. Then a wet spring. Then a drought with many days over 100°. Then a decent period with some rain. Then 6 weeks of drought and now we've gotten almost 7 inches of rain in 3 days and they're forecasting up to 10 inches over the next 36 hours. I can't catch a break.

It's totally screwing up my schedule too. I run a tight schedule and my customers know that I'll be at their house at about the same time, week after week. I have a couple of customers with kids and the customers know to clean up their yards before I get there. Now it's getting all messed up. Hopefully I'll be able to get it straightened out next week for the run into fall.
my schedule is way off too. Its been raining here the last 3 days. Much needed rain though.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tell me about it..
i'm here in charlotte. i have been pushing aerations back since late august. it has been 90+ degrees here forever. then all of a sudden, boom, 80 degrees a couple days ago. phone rang off the hook with aeration calls. now it's been raining the last 3 days and i am back to pushing aerations back!!

yea, its much needed rain. problem is...all the lawns around here are DEAD! so the rain won't help much now. however, hopefully more people will be investing in repairing their lawn
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Really

We have had a very dry summer here as we had little rain from May-August. We had rain yest/today from the storm, but overall a dry summer.

I usually don't mind getting rained out 1 day as I only have 25 accounts, but I have extras that need to get done that have to get pushed back now.....

Realistically though, October is usually dry and the winter is the same way. This should be the last of the rains for us, but you never know.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Richard, you are describing my area to a t! First one of the coldest winters on record, then spring it was weeks of no rain, then months of non stop rain during th summer along with record breaking miserable over 100 every day, and up till yesterday not a drop of rain in over a month, had 3 cancellations last week due to dead brown grass, now two straight days of non stop rain and I'm behind again. Why can't mother nature balance the weather out dam it!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Whats Rain?

We have had only about 1" of rain total in the last 12 weeks with temp's in the upper 90's most of the time. doing very very little mowing. trimming hedges, Trees, and odd jobs just to make a living.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm loving the rain but it one extreme to the other. I have put a hold on everything this week. But it doing us good. And from what I hear it suppost to be a nasty winter again around here. Maybe we will get some storm clean up if this tropical storm comes through here like they say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 PM

I was out there cutting in pouring down rain today. I haven't had to do that in a long time. Most lawns just barely have enough to cut after 3 weeks
Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Same here Quality. Lawns were getting dry though, maybe this rain will extend the season some now.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I know what you mean man. I was planning on cutting today but it rained. Don't get me wrong we need it down here bad, but it stinks to get behind.

Gravely and Stihl