Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, this is great information on real world use.

I'm wondering now if the Exmark 'mulching kit" on this deck design is actually just the block off plug.

If I could make a pass to mulch up leaves, then get it into bagging mode somehow and vac up the remnants, that would be ideal.

It is pretty weird that they won't make a side discharge deck, but I guess that would mean reversing the right hand side blade's rotation and perhaps there are reasons why they can't do that in a cost effective manner.

Still, I have other mowers around for discharging tall grass when needed. I need a machine that can mulch in the summer and collect spring/fall. I'd better go see my dealer and get some more answers.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the navigator mulch kit is an expensive block off plug.

I cut a 2 x 6 to fit then used the 3 holes and wood screws to attach it. 90% blocked.

Sometimes it plugs then completely mulches other times I have to empty probably 1/3 less than with it wide open.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
Thanks guys, this is great information on real world use.

It is pretty weird that they won't make a side discharge deck, but I guess that would mean reversing the right hand side blade's rotation and perhaps there are reasons why they can't do that in a cost effective manner.
There's no reason that Exmark could not make a SD deck. The counter-rotating blade issue that you mention is not a problem at all because it is a function of the gear boxes on the deck. Walker mowers have that figured out.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you just leave the hopper open and drive it around that way. Then when you're ready to bag close it up and scoop it up?? Seems like it would work although I've never tried it when I was using the navigator.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
Why don't you just leave the hopper open and drive it around that way. Then when you're ready to bag close it up and scoop it up?? Seems like it would work although I've never tried it when I was using the navigator.
My expierence doing this with a walker is that it does not really leave a professional finished look...
Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, it's all about quality, but just a thought though.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
on my walkers you can open the hopper door and use it .but on my new exmark they have safely switch on the hopper door so you cannot do that.
2011 4x4 f250
2008 4x4 f250
1999 4x4 f250
5 fisher plows
2 fisher sanders
2010 kubota l4400
2007 kubota kx 161-3
billy goat truck vacuum 23 hp
2011 exmark navigator
2010 exmark navigator
2011 walker
2010 walker
2008 walker
2 7x16 trailer
7x14 trailer
6x12 trailer
equipment trailer for tractor
Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

On a Navigator that hasn't seen much field use operating the machine with the pto engaged and the rear door open will kill the motor.

Regarding Exmark and their steadfast refusal to produce a side discharge deck, I have had several incredibly frustrating telephone conversations with the actual factory engineers. All of whom report the party line, that being "If you want a side discharge deck buy a dedicated side discharging machine".

I then asked about additional options like an aerifier since I really don't need a snow thrower in C. Texas - ExMark said no deal, use what we offer or buy a different machine.

I will say this about the Navigator; for it's intended purpose (solely bagging and/or mowing properties which require a manicured appearance) it works quite well, is robust and with the exception of changing the pto belts, easy to maintain.

However, had I known at the time no side discharge deck would ever be available (thanks to a conniving ExMark rep) Iwould have bought a Walker. In fact, I'll go so far as to say if I am ever stupid enough to re-start a grounds maintenance business again I'll use only the Walker machines due to their adaptability.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Due to the really low sales volume of these Walker wannabes, Exmark has chosen not to invest any more money in engineering or design of additional decks or attachments. They are in a bad spot with this machine. Low sales volume means no money for additional attachments/decks. Yet, without the attachment/decks people want, sales will continue to be poor.
They already canned the Frontrunner, which was a Grasshopper wannabe. Only time will tell if they pull the plug on the Navigator. I would bet it is gone in another couple of years, if sales do not improve.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
On a Navigator that hasn't seen much field use operating the machine with the pto engaged and the rear door open will kill the motor.

Regarding Exmark and their steadfast refusal to produce a side discharge deck, I have had several incredibly frustrating telephone conversations with the actual factory engineers. All of whom report the party line, that being "If you want a side discharge deck buy a dedicated side discharging machine".

I then asked about additional options like an aerifier since I really don't need a snow thrower in C. Texas - ExMark said no deal, use what we offer or buy a different machine.

I will say this about the Navigator; for it's intended purpose (solely bagging and/or mowing properties which require a manicured appearance) it works quite well, is robust and with the exception of changing the pto belts, easy to maintain.

However, had I known at the time no side discharge deck would ever be available (thanks to a conniving ExMark rep) Iwould have bought a Walker. In fact, I'll go so far as to say if I am ever stupid enough to re-start a grounds maintenance business again I'll use only the Walker machines due to their adaptability.
I'm with you man. I've spent alot of time on a navigator, never used a walker, but I really don't care to. Like you said for it's intended purpose, dedicated bagging, and exceptional cut it is flawless. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a walker for a great deal or something but I won't take anything away from the navigator. Those things are legit. Even my puny 36" exmark metro leaves an exceptional cut with the mulching kit. I will be purchasing a navi in a year or two once I get where I want and have the right guys running it.

That's pretty cool you got to speak with actual navigator engineers. Sucks yall couldn't agree but still I would give those guys a pat on the back. For what it does, they've hit a home run. Don't care what the biggest walker enthusiast on this site has to say.