Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Navigator vs Lazer Z on leaves

Which would one be happier with when it comes to handling leaves, the Exmark Navigator or the Lazer Z with the 2 bag ultravac (I think that's all that'll fit on a 48" model)?

Does either have a distinct advantage in the areas of blowout, suction, leaf reduction, ease of dumping, or capacity?

I think the Navigator would fit in more places due to not having an impeller slung on one side, and I do some undulating areas where I wonder if it might get knocked around. For regular mowing each has pros/cons with me. I don't care about top speed. The availability of the 42" deck on the Navigator is a plus for me. But I like the ability to use a foot pedal to raise/lower the deck with the Lazer. I assume the Navigator can't do that.

Doing small/medium properties, and I'd mulch anything huge anyway.

Budget not a huge issue, first new mower in 7 years.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

While I've never used a navigator, I can speak on the Lazer issue.

There is small blowout where the deck meets the vac unit. While there is good suction and the bags fill up nice, the blowout gets annoying.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the Navigator would be better for you. Except the deck issue.

I personally only need to adjust my deck once or twice a day max.

I have a 42" which gets me through most gates. The Navigaotor can vacuum or easily be turned into a muclher.

I have never had a Lazer and if you haven't had a Navigator or a Walker the controls may take some getting use too.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually the Walker is in the running as well. I like that they have an accessory to lift the deck when needed for transport. I sometimes like to lift the deck a little in tight turns or over crests on bermudagrass so it doesn't scalp. That stuff shows every minute change in mowing height.

I also am intrigued at the perfaerator, as one reason I minimize the amount of aerating I do is the fatigue factor, and I didn't want to buy a specialty high production aerator. I made $300 in a morning aerating/seeding this week, but was sore and worn out the rest of the week from it. With this tool I might advertise it a little more and at least pay for the attachment while getting rid of my walk behind unit.

The Navigator seems a little sturdier but I'm pretty gentle on machines and no employees would touch it. Walker also has a long history with this design. The biggest negative I came up with for the Walker was that it requires a seperate deck for mulching.

Anyone know why they couldn't just have a mulch kit for the GHS decks to convert them? I'm sure with the 2nd deck the Walker is more expensive with a comparable engine. I think I remember seeing some sort of plug to put on a GHS deck sold on ebay (definitely not OEM). Wonder if that actually works well?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Navigator and the Toro Z Master with the bagger. I love both machines, but definitely hands down would have to go with the Navigator. Definitely eats the crap outta some leaves and feel that the Navigator is a much sturdier machine than the Walker. I was not pleased with no deck height assist on the Navigator but I've gotten used to it and it really isn't too bad at all. Hope that helps ya a little. Let me know if you have any other questions.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I own a Walker MT 23 HP GHS and it is as good as it gets with the leaf pickup and the quality of lawn cut. Mine has the power dump which is a very nice add on. I also was looking at the Navigator and there are several reasons why I chose the Walker. #1 the Walker has a bunch more add on things and the Navigator, well we will just say you get what you get. #2 You may have better luck selling a dead horse than a used Navigator.
Do yourself a favor and buy the Walker.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Navigator all day long, every day. It's made for this and does it exceptionally while the Lazer Z is mainly made for open area cutting and great at mulching. The 2 bag ultravac you can "add on" but it is not designed around bagging what so ever. No blow out on navigator and like someone else said there is some on your Lazer. It's pretty simple concept as the navigator/walkers are engineered exactly for getting every spec off the lawn while the lazers are engineered to handle the big areas and their specialty would be mulching.

This is why a 48" navigator is $10-13,000 and a 60" lazer is a good bit less. The nav's/walkers are designed for the highest level quality.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

NAVIGATOR- ALL DAY LONG. Nothing like it. Blades sharp and belts tight works like an Oreck only heavier! lol