Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

# 1 .. friends and business dont mix..

# 2. fire him and he will sue your azz..
Old 10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I hired a brother firefighter, he is even my union president. the 2nd day he worked for me he pulled out his dong and took a wizz in the front parking lot of a multi million dollar condo that i cut weekly. I got called in the office over it. and received a royal arse chewing from management. . I walked outside and fired the guy on the spot. brother firefighter /union president/ Friend i don't care. hes lucky i didn't beat his arse.. I will never hire another friend again. business is business.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Especially if you know someone I don't understand why if YOU ask for work, you can't just show up and do what is told of you and then some? I always did whether it was for someone I didn't like or a friend...I guess I expect from others the same that I have put in but now as the boss I realize that it is so hard to come by, its scary. Makes me realize most people are just jacka$$es. Instead doing an excellent job they figure they're in good with the boss so they can do whatever. Sad, scary, and it makes me mad.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

document that he was working at the FD that night, also any other times he is working there until he is 100%. if he goes to L&I with it having that proof may invalidate his claim.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

only after an interview, a google search,(no sex offenders or felons) and a quick hands on test will we hire someone. It seems friends expect favors from you.-after all, you are friends-.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

LOL this gets even crazier..... Yesterday was his 21st birthday.... texted me and said... Im pucking my guts out made a bad decision im sorry please forgive me..... I asked what he did... Drank

This evening my wifes best friend called and said he was in the hospital in a 4 wheeler accident and possibly broke his pelvis (hip) well...... i think theres no problem finding a solution... LOL
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have employees in my lawn care business, but I do at my full time job. One thing I have learned is that there are some people in this world that have ZERO direction in life. Every day is a new day. At my job, each week is a routine. Every Tuesday is the same, Wednesdays are all the same, every Thursday is just like the Thursday before, etc. It doesn't take long to catch on and fall in the groove. Except those that don't. No matter how long they work there, they still don't have a clue what to do when they walk in the door in the morning (if they make it in before noon, that is). Never figure out a routine, never know when they should be at work, have to be told every step of the way every single day........ I'm just amazed by some of them!

What I've started doing is keeping a calendar on the wall. Every time someone is late, doesn't show up, etc. I write it on that calendar for everyone to see. After a month with their name on it several times each week, they'll usually quit (out of shame, I guess). But the main reason I keep the calendar is just in case someone tries to file unemployment after I fire them, I can just show them the calendar.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Elegance View Post
# 1 .. friends and business dont mix..

# 2. fire him and he will sue your azz..
Please explain how you think he can be sued for firing this non-worker.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterK2 View Post
Please explain how you think he can be sued for firing this non-worker.
because he got injured on the job and is firing him because of it. Simsple actually.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you're telling me that, even though this guy has been late repeatedly, taken off on work days repeatedly, called in repeatedly, but yet was able to work at the fire station, get drunk, ride 4 wheelers, etc. that he can't be fired?

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you. And I'm not sure what Simsple means.