Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Clean kut lawn maintenance

Hello lawnsite,

Just wanted to tell everyone on here hello and let you guys know that I really love this site and it has been very informative. I pretty much live on this site. Im open to all suggestions, tips, etc.

Im just a 24 year old guy, fully licensed and insured, and am really going after lawn maintenance hard trying to get ahead financially in my life. I worked for a big landscaping company in high school and always knew I wanted to pursue this as I got older. I have another job, and right now, this is my side job. However, I have been lucky and picked up several customers and even a couple of contracts so far!

Just a hello from Georgia!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck, I've been going at it for 4 years now part time, and couldn't be happier with my decision. If things work out, next year I'll truly go part time splitting about 28 hours at my other job, and maybe about the same lawn care, in preparation of going full time in the next couple years. Since you already know the site from visits (like I'm sure many others have done, myself included), you know how the system works, there isn't really a stupid questions, just be ready for some smart a$$ remarks

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Clean Kut, I'm about 15 miles from you, just over the river. I do a little bit of work in Augusta. Augusta is already saturated with lawn guys. What contracts did you pick up? Glad to see somebody from around here on this site! If I see you around town I'll be sure to introduce myself.

Gravely and Stihl
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey man, I think Ive seen your truck around town maybe? Your right about Augusta being saturated, and on top of that, we are full of uninsured lowballers. I dont understand how people can make money charging what they charge around here sometimes.

As of right now, I dont have a fancy enclosed trailer. Just a 5x10 trailer. On it you will see a yellow everride 48, commercial snapper push, and stihl head with extensions, stihl and robin blower, and a couple rakes, etc.

Hope to meet you soon. Send me some of them thousand customers you have, haha.

Tell me about your outfit All-Star, are you full-time? Do you have any good contracts?

Look forward to meeting you.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hahaha 1000 customers, I wish. I'm just starting out just like you. I'm trying to make this a full-time gig but there is a lot of people in the lawn care business. I pull a 6.5x16 open trailer, gravely compact commercial 44, stihl trimmer, hedge trimmer, and blower. I'm working on making a shovel rack today. My truck is a green GMC Sierria and you'll see the All-Star Lawns signs on it. The one place I service in Augusta is on Columbia road right before you turn on Washington. Look out for me there. Yeah I know what you mean man, but when the economy went to ****, everybody with a mower started cutting grass.

Gravely and Stihl

Last edited by Casey'sLM; 10-05-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

So, across the river, do alot of people pay for lawn maintenance?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah somewhat, in the little town I live in that's where I have most of my accounts. But there is competition just like anywhere else. Some people want their lawn cut with a Walker and some don't care as long as it looks good.

So what contracts do you have in Augusta? Any commercial work?

Gravely and Stihl
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have them spread out from columbia county to south augusta, really everywhere..Have 3 or 4 houses in 1 subdivision, I would really like to tighten my route up some more...

As far as commercial work goes, no not yet, but we are trying to get there!

How about you? Any commercial work?

I dont have a walker..I pull an everride (great mower) and a husqvarna with snapper commercial push mowers.

Walker=out of my price range
Old 10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I know what you mean with the walker, they are not cheap lol. I don't have any commercial work yet either. I just can't seem to get any more accounts in Augusta. Everybody that wants a lawn care service already has it.

What are the specs on that Everride, I went and looked at one before I bought the Gravely but it was a little to pricey for me.

Those snapper commercial push mowers are damn good mowers. I've got one that is probably older than me with a Kawi. on it. It's on its last leg, but it still runs.

Gravely and Stihl
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

The everride is a 48 inch warrior. Has been good to me. Everride has sold their name to Ariens now though, so it will be the same mower with a different name. The gravely is made by them as well.

If you dont mind me asking, what does an everage 1/4-1/2 acre yard go for when you are pricing it?

Any luck with fall cleanups yet?