Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2002, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat vs Hustler vs ExMark vs Ferris

All,

Need help figuring out which ZTR to purchase. I have about 3 acres; much of which is sloping. Trying to decide which tractor would be "best". Have been using 38 inch Cub Cadet Garden Tractor which just takes way to long and love the zero turn capabilities of the high end residential / low end commercial ZTRs I'm looking at. I live in NJ so finding a dealer for all these mowers and others isn't a problem.

Looking at the:

Hustler Fastrack 18hp Honda w/ 52 inch deck

Bobcat 218ES with 18hp Kawasaki ( I think) w/ 52 inch deck

ExMark HP Lazer

Also, there is a Ferris dealer nearby although I haven't looked at those as yet.

Any recommendations? Pros/cons? Thoughts? Experience?

Just an ignorant homeowner looking to save time cutting the lawn while owning a mower that will last for the next decade.

Thanks in advance - Actually, if we don't get rain soon, I won't need a mower. Yesterday, I saw two trees fighting over a dog.
John

Old 08-14-2002, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Member

the 218 ES bobcat has a 18hp b&s intek or at least it did this spring. it appears to be pretty much the same mower as the 19hp kawasaki w/ 52 inch deck that is a commercial mower.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Sponsor

It should be noted that the FasTrak is not a direct comparison to the others you mention. The Hustler Mini Z would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison. Now, having said that, the property you descripe is EXACTLY what the FasTrak was designed for and at a considerable cost savings over the other units. The FasTrak is a homeowner unit built to perform like a commercial unit and priced right around $5,000.00 and it will last the average homeowner 10 to 20 years easily.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

John,
I bought a new Bobcat 218ES this Spring for $5000. I looked at all of the homeowner models and liked the Hustler the best of these but felt like I needed the larger tires and stouter frame of a commercial model for my somewhat rough 4 acres. I loved the Exmark but couldn't pass up the Bobcat at this price. The 18hp Briggs Intek holds the price down but I have found it to have plenty of power and, at around 50 hours/year, it should be with me many years. I couldn't be more happy with the quality of cut or overall performance of this machine.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The best thing that I would say to do is to try each one out and see which works for you. I have all Exmark equipment and I would never switch. I love my lazer 60" It has a excellent cut and I feel very save on the hills that I have to deal with. I can't say enough about the options that they offer. The bagging system is quick and simple to use and the mulching system for the fall is second to none. But all and all you have to be happy with what you choose. Happy choosing. In Michigan it seems Januaryis a good time to buy lawn equipment as dealers are trying to move old inventory. Or see if any of the dealers in your area have spring equipment shows. That is the Best time to buy.

Happy Hunting
Old 11-17-2002, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler vs Exmark

how about Gravelly, they make four resonably priced residentiall ZT's. 1740,1842,2048 and 2250.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard only good things about exmark, the ones I've demoed have been great! But I use Husqvarna commercial equipment, I think as of now they have the 61 inch deck for around $6,800. They have been great for us, I am going to purchase a new Husqvarna 36" walk behind for next year, the only other mower I want is a Walker. I am buying a used one for my Christmas gift!
Old 11-18-2002, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you will not go wrong with the bobcat it is all we will run.Great machine
Old 11-28-2002, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

No unsolicited advertising.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-28-2002 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You won't go wrong with the Hustler for slope holding. But I'd go with the mini Z rather than the fast track. It will last forever using it as you described and is a far better machine than the fast tack.