Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Any body use a dump trailer to haul equipment?

Kind of a weird question but I am just starting up and do not want to buy a dump . I plan on starting in the spring doing small lawns and mulching, edging, pruning. The days I am not mowing I can haul mulch and brush. Does anyone carry equipment in their dump and if you do can you get a ramp to get mowers up in it?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check out Bri-Mar trailers they have a swing gate that would work well for what you're looking for. If you already have a trailer you could have someone fab a similar gate up for yours.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 7x12 brimar that I use for everything. I can just fit my two exmark 60inch lazers on with the pull out ramps that came with the trailer. The trailer works great for mowing use and general landscape use.

facebook.com/jwslandscaping
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted a similar thread because I sold my landscape and smaller dump trailer to upgrade to one big dump trailer, I wanted my garage back. I like it so far although I cannot get my mowers (walk behinds) up the ramps supplied with the trailer but I had some that I made that work well. My dump is a 7x14 and weighs 3800#'s empty so its heavy to drag around compared to the 900# single axle landscape trailer I had. I get about 8mpgs towing it (gas ford). The landscape gates offered by some manufacturers might be good option and I may look into someone fabricating something. When I debated this I had a few thoughts in my mind

1.) I wanted to be down to one trailer for space in my garage

2.) I needed something multipurpose to haul equipment and materials to replace the landscape and dump trailers I had sold.

3.) The mpg's are going to go down with a heavy trailer but I was also looking at 16-20' enclosed trailers that weigh close to 3000#. So the dump for me made more sense. Although if I get the space and money I may do the enclosed also

These are only my opinions and observations. I wouldn't do it differently if I had another chance.

JWSLAND - What is the deck height on your dump trailer? I was wondering if I ever picked up a zero turn if the ramps on mine would be too steep to load it.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply guys wasn't sure if that was feasable or not.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbymustang616 View Post
Kind of a weird question but I am just starting up and do not want to buy a dump . I plan on starting in the spring doing small lawns and mulching, edging, pruning. The days I am not mowing I can haul mulch and brush. Does anyone carry equipment in their dump and if you do can you get a ramp to get mowers up in it?
Check into a book Systems for success by dwight hughes(sp?) he owns a very big landscaping co, does a few million a year with 4 employees. He has a sweet setup, dump trailer with torpedo tubes under it for tools.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

From the ground to the bed of the trailer is about 23 inches.

The ramps work for the mowers but they are a little bumpy and when its wet out its sometimes hard to get up. Depending how the road is sloped when I unload/load I can just lift the trailer to make the angle less aggressive.

I worked for a guy who had a very nice hawke dump trailer which had a custom landscape gate on it. Downside, it had to be very long to make a nice angle to drive up it, thus making the gate extremely heavy. He had to install the gate lift helper springs on the sides. The tall gate had the normal bottom hinge point to drop on the ground when loading equipment, also a high hinge point so the bottom opened when you wanted to dump it. It seemed like a great idea but the dump feature was pretty much useless because the gate never opened properly at the bottom when dumping.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

shelbymustang616- I bought my trailer at TP Trailers in Limerick PA. They were very helpful and beat another trailer dealers price for the same trailer by $1,000!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i been thinking of getting dump trailer been i did like using ramps. i need gate of the mowers
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

your pullin' an extra 3000#'s for nothing.
But they do have these one trailer i call all in one
With a rear gate that folds down to load mowers and such then
like in this pic