Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanderson79 View Post
I own the PB770 and I haven't had that problem with it, but I did have a similar problem with a PB265 that I have. No power at all. Took it to the dealer who gave it to his mechanic. His mechanic came back five minutes later and it ran like new.

The Secret: SEAFOAM. He said I had stale fuel (3 weeks old) in there. He added about 1/2 an ounce to the "stale" gas and that was the result.

The ethanol in gasoline is especially a problem for two-cycle engines (as per the mechanic). The smaller they are, the more sensitive they are to older gasohol. He recommended adding 1 1/2 to 2 oz of Seafoam per gallon of fuel oil mix. So that's I've been doing since. Can't hurt to try.
Ok both the 770 and this 265 have adjustment needles on the carb. you must find them. And the ports get clogged on 265 with heavy use. The fuel is not a factor it is all in these adjustment. They are hid behind plastic plugs that can be pulled out.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Where are these plastic plugs located? The only place.I have heard about adjusting newer carbs is where the throttle cable.connects to on the carb.. if you look down at the little " brass" screw in there.. sometimes they are adjustable from that point
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre's Lawn Care View Post
Where are these plastic plugs located? The only place.I have heard about adjusting newer carbs is where the throttle cable.connects to on the carb.. if you look down at the little " brass" screw in there.. sometimes they are adjustable from that point
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep that is it you have to have a D shaped device and I don't know what that is called but it is a standard tool. Now on the trimmers there is an addidional needle straight in from the back. Both of them use small screw driver after you get the plug out. Some heat up a spring hook plungs it into the plastic let it cool then pull. I have a reverse screw device to get them out don't know where to get em since dealer gave me one.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

If adjusting the carb does not work, replace the white check valve for the fuel tank. Had trouble with 2 PB770, I adjusted carbs, replaced carbs, nothing worked. Replaced the check valve, worked perfect. One easy way to tell is if you crack the gas cap just a little bit and you can hear air forced out of the tank, check valve is bad.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guess the mechanics said there was dirt in the carb, have no idea how that could of happened but it has been working great for at least one day.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I just took my carb completely apart. Mine went from running only on low idle to running ok (75%) on half choke. So I fixed half the prob. Where is this check valve located? And I also can't find this adjustment screw under the cap you guys are talking about. Lmk thx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I live on the shore so went down and scouped up some of the foam that gathers on the surface of the water near the stone jetty at the town beach and put it in one of my trimmers that has been bogging down a lot. Now it won't run at all. That's the last time I'm ever putting sea foam in any of my equipment!!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Mac B.
Mine did the same thing and I had to carry it to the dealer since you can not adjust the carb without the special tool. He fixed mine in about 10 seconds by adjusting the carb. As soon as he turned it instantly run better. He told me that deposits from ethanol gas form on the carb and most of the time this is all it takes to get it running better.
What he said. In my review of the echo pb770T, I noted the following:
  • After cleaning / rebuilding carb (as needed) and replacing the gas filter, spark plug and air filter
    I removed the spark arrestor on the muffler
    I tweeked the fuel metering lever (bending it slightly upwards) for a richer fuel mixture.
    This is almost required due to the power lost with a 10% ethanol blend in the fuel
    Then what Mac B posted: You can buy the "D" shaped echo screwdriver online and adjust the high speed fuel jet yourself or have a dealer do it. On mine, I opened this screw about 1 full turn. This jet is easily reached without removing the protective shroud. Look slightly upwards from the primer bulb. I forget if there was a protective plastic cap over the screw, but you can get in there fairly easily with the "D" screwdriver. After doing all that, the unit runs flawlessly.
    I use only 91 octane super gas, occasionally add Seafoam,
    Oh, and do add some stabil to your gas, especially if you're not using it very often.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

mine did this for the first time this fall. I used 1/3 can of seafoam maybe a tad more. figured out where it ran best on the choke. maybe 20 or so minutes. it started to run rough and died. I started it with no choke. it has ran like new since
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I live on the shore so went down and scouped up some of the foam that gathers on the surface of the water near the stone jetty at the town beach and put it in one of my trimmers that has been bogging down a lot. Now it won't run at all. That's the last time I'm ever putting sea foam in any of my equipment!!!!
I sure am glad I don't live close to the ocean!
Posted via Mobile Device