Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler Command 23 smokes on start-up

My Kohler Command engine smokes on start-up. It has only 215hrs on it.
I just bought it used. The mechanic at the dealer said it had something to do with the lifters? This doesn't make sense to me, seems like it would be valve
seals or rings? Help?

Thanks, Phil
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

your right on track, its valve seals. Oil is leaking past the seal and into combustion chamber and burning off at startup. This is more annoying than harmful so I wouldn't worry to much about it unless its gets worse and your engine oil level starts dropping. How long was it sitting before you bought it?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does it do it every time you start it? I had one that would do it occasionally, although I've read on here about others that do it pretty much all the time. It never did cause any trouble, or use any major amount of oil, so I just didn't worry about it.

As far as what's causing it, I'm like you, it'd seem like valve seals to me.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

It wasn't sitting more than 2 weeks. Yes, I dont think I'll worry about it
either. It has not used any oil, just annoying. No, it doesnt do it every time
either. Thanks for the advise!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a new one and it does this, just the nature of the engine. I don't need to add oil between oil changes and it is only on the first start up of the day.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's normal. Got the same engine but he 27HP. Larger carb. Mine does it 1-3 times a week. Hasn't done it for 2 weeks so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Happen since brand new.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea! It drives me nuts. I've have the 30hp. After some research by phone to Kohler, this site, reading, and talking to other Kohler owners, it seems a Kohler needs to be shutdown at half throttle or more to keep from smoking at start up. It works, but that drives me nuts too!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
Yea! It drives me nuts. I've have the 30hp. After some research by phone to Kohler, this site, reading, and talking to other Kohler owners, it seems a Kohler needs to be shutdown at half throttle or more to keep from smoking at start up. It works, but that drives me nuts too!
I thought that was for the back firing problem. My mower never once back fired she has about 350 hours. I always let it idle for 10- 30 sec before shutting down.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
Is that what a Kohler rep told you? Seems strange to me........if oil is leaking past the valve seals when the engine is NOT RUNNING, then what difference does it make what RPM it was running when last shut down? I'm not saying it doesn't work.......I never tried it........but I do know that if I didn't let mine idle for a while before shutting it off, it would backfire.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
I thought that was for the back firing problem. My mower never once back fired she has about 350 hours. I always let it idle for 10- 30 sec before shutting down.
Well that too. Seems that letting it idle 10- 30 sec or 2 minutes causes the oil pump to continue to pump oil after shutdown, trapping oil on the topside of the rings.