Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

DOT officers love to give BS tickets so Id ask someone with less of a conflict of interest.

I looked up both. Your laws are both the same and this is it.

A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.

They are telling you the law but theyre leaving the last part out. You can tow a trailer that weighs 25,900 pounds if you tow it with a bicycle. More realistically, you can tow a 14,000 lb equipment trailer with a 3/4 ton pick-up.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
trailers wont haul more weight. We dont know what the dump truck is. Could be a international or F550-750
And like wise you don't know what the trailer is.

Doesn't matter what size truck you are talking about.

Any truck can handle more weight on the trailer and tow it than to have it on it's back(frame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
not in Maryland !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
or in PA..... any trailer ober 10K requires a CDL. This has been confirmed by a DOT officer I spoke with.
This is not the case in Maryland or PA.

I suggest you guys look up the laws yourselves instead of trusting Barney Fife.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
A 550 will weigh about the same and gives you up to 3500 #s more capacity but if you register it at 19.500 you cant leagally tow a 7k trailer with out going over the magical 26k Which throws you into the CDL range again. A 450-550 truck is nice but they are expensive to run.
With a F550 you can still tow 10k without needing a CDL.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
This is not the case in Maryland or PA.

I suggest you guys look up the laws yourselves instead of trusting Barney Fife.
Thank you...
Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad you guys from the midwest and NY know Marylands laws so well.Open up the cover to the "Maryland Commercial Drivers License Manual " and on the first page it says a class C license: Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehichle les that 26001 pounds GVWR or any such vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class B License : Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
With a F550 you can still tow 10k without needing a CDL.
Show me how you can leagally do this in MD . Only way to do so is to register the 550 at 16k.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

4 Seasons is correct. This is a constant topic that probably takes up half of my post-count.

I have an f-550 dump at 19,000# GWVR.
I also have a 12,000# GVRW Bri-Mar dump trailer. I use them together. I had to get my Class A CDL to do so.

BECAUSE the TRAILER is over 10,000.... IF my trailer was an even 10,000#, I would not need the CDL....TRUE, I would be over the 26,000 COMBINED limit (I'd be at 29,000# GCWR)- BUT the trailer would not be over 10,000

Read this- this is straight from the FMCSA website, under federal CDL standards. --->

Drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive certain CMVs since April 1, 1992.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has developed and issued standards for the testing and licensing of CDL holders. These standards require States to issue CDLs to certain CMV drivers only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests, administered by the State and related to the type of vehicle the driver expects to operate. Drivers are required to obtain and hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce if they drive a vehicle that meets any of the classifications of a CMV described below.

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

The key word here is PROVIDED.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For starters do you realize that MD has the same requirements as the Feds?

Quote:
and on the first page it says a class C license: Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehichle les that 26001 pounds GVWR or any such vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
That isn't what it really says now is it?

IIRC it says something like this.

Quote:
any single vehichle less that 26001 pounds GVWR or any such vehicle Towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR
So if the truck is under 26k or under and the trailer is 10k or under you only need a class C.

It also says something about a CGVWR of less than 26k but your MVA website is down so I can't look it up at this time.

Quote:
Show me how you can leagally do this in MD . Only way to do so is to register the 550 at 16k.
That wouldn't be the case anyway since it is based off GVWR.

Why don't you show us where it says you need a CLass A for a trailer over 10k?

Quote:
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MARYLAND COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE CLASSES
Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, for the
commercial motor vehicle for which he/she desires a commercial driverís license.
Class A license: Authorizes the licensee to operate Tractor/Trailer or Combinations of vehicles
with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds if the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in
excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B License: Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of
26,001 or more pounds; Any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds
GVWR.
Class C License: Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehicle less that 26,001
pounds GVWR; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR,
and is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the
transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purpose of the Hazardous Materials
Transportation Act and which requires the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous
Materials Regulations.

http://www.calleva.org/pdf/CDL_Handbook.pdf