Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
So how about that dump vs dump trailer
Just depends on what you plan to use it for.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM
BLC1 BLC1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 649
Well my situation is this. I need to get another truck that is 4x4 to put a plow on. I was thinking a 1 ton dump would solve that problem and give me some other options for hauling.

I don't do a lot of hauling. Occasionally I need a few yards of soil. Maybe a little stone or firewood here and there.

I was having a hard time coming up with anything so I thought another f250 would be fine if I got a dump trailer. It would be nice to have a dump trailer I could get my skid steer with a rock hound on as well. I could sell one of my trailers to help pay for everything.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
Well my situation is this. I need to get another truck that is 4x4 to put a plow on. I was thinking a 1 ton dump would solve that problem and give me some other options for hauling.

I don't do a lot of hauling. Occasionally I need a few yards of soil. Maybe a little stone or firewood here and there.

I was having a hard time coming up with anything so I thought another f250 would be fine if I got a dump trailer. It would be nice to have a dump trailer I could get my skid steer with a rock hound on as well. I could sell one of my trailers to help pay for everything.
I would go with the dump trailer then.

Couple reasons,

1. I hate plowing with a dump truck.

2. Higher payload. It should be able to have net load of about 10k.

3. The one ton(10k+GVWR) is a CMV all the time and the two fiddy would only be a CMV when towing the trailer.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.

Last edited by Duffster; 10-11-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 PM
CLARK LAWN's Avatar
CLARK LAWN CLARK LAWN is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: youngstown, ohio
Posts: 2,519
downside is it you need equipment and material on a job you will have to make two trips. i really dont see the point in small (under 40k-50k). i see people do it here with a leaf box on the trailer and they have another truck and trailer for the equipment.
__________________
www.clarklawn.com

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM
BLC1 BLC1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 649
I was wondering how much more difficult it would be to plow with a dump. Obviously large lots would be fine but the lack of visibilty would drive me nuts.

Does anybody here have a dump trailer and wish they would have gone with the truck or vise versa?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
bmoorefield bmoorefield is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 118
Wow, settle down kids. In Maryland I have a class C license (standard) but you need commercial insurance and DOT #. I have a 14' dump trailer and it works great for many needs. Hauling mulch, top soil, rocks, skid steer, mini x, and I am currently getting ready for leaf removal season with a tailgate mounted debris loader, its great to be able to flip a switch to unload. I do admit that a dump truck would be more nimble in some situations but I manage just fine with the trailer. When I am towing the dump trailer with my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD (6.0L gas) I am averaging 8 mpg. Hope this helps, either way it will be great improvement to your buisness.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
BLC1 BLC1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 649
How long of a trailer do you need for a skid steer with rock hound on it?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 AM
CLARK LAWN's Avatar
CLARK LAWN CLARK LAWN is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: youngstown, ohio
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorefield View Post
Wow, settle down kids. In Maryland I have a class C license (standard) but you need commercial insurance and DOT #. I have a 14' dump trailer and it works great for many needs. Hauling mulch, top soil, rocks, skid steer, mini x, and I am currently getting ready for leaf removal season with a tailgate mounted debris loader, its great to be able to flip a switch to unload. I do admit that a dump truck would be more nimble in some situations but I manage just fine with the trailer. When I am towing the dump trailer with my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD (6.0L gas) I am averaging 8 mpg. Hope this helps, either way it will be great improvement to your buisness.
so do you use two trucks then? one for trailer and one for equipment.
__________________
www.clarklawn.com

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 PM
bmoorefield bmoorefield is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 118
Depending on the job, but I put most of my equipment in the bed of truck. If I am using large equipment and need materials such as top soil or stone, I will drop off the equipment and then go pick up the material needed. Most of my jobs are with in a 30 minute round trip to a supply yard.

Rock Hound and skid steer fits in a 14' dump. I almost purchased a smaller trailer but I am glad I didnt.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 PM
BLC1 BLC1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 649
Perfect. That may free me up to sell my large trailer then. If I could use the dump to haul the skid steer that would take care of both.

Where is a good place to look for used dump trailers. Craigslist hasn't had much to look at.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.10444 seconds with 8 queries