Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Roll off.........need feedback

I'm going to look at this truck this weekend but not familiar with this style roll off/dumpster truck. I know it needs rollers down the side.

The hoist looks very long. The guy that has it is the 2nd owner, didn't have it built this way. I don't know if I can cut it shorter and still function as the rams look to be fully extended, tilting the hoist/dumpster.

Educate me. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

You will have to cut those rail tails so you get enough dump angle. What that is a set of rails off of a tandem axle truck on a single axle. The lift cylinders are not stroked out they will go a little more.

A welding shop can do the modifications on the rails and you will have to shorten up the reeving cable. It must be common in the USA with rollers on a rolloff in B.C. the bin slides directly on the rails. They have a wear plate on top and the sides.

If you get the truck cheap enough modify the rails and you should be good to go.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

$7k, CAT, airbrakes, 5 spd, 26k GVW, 200k miles
Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's face the truth, if it wasn't blue you wouldn't want it!!! What's that bird that collects all blue things to build a nest out of?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not annother switch and go? Then you don't have to get a bunch of new bins and both trucks can work together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You could have a new set of rails made for the truck that fit the truck everything is there the truck looks in decent shape.

Not sure why somebody would put 22 foot rails on a single axle truck the hoist is a 60,000lb unit.

The other option is buy the truck and put a switch and go on it the hydraulics are there you can use the full hydraulic version.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I actually missed out buying a red one in Maryland if it makes you feel any better.

The whole reason I'm looking is because I'm adding another truck to my state snow contract. I ran across the rolloff's at good prices and figured why not have it pull double duty vs sit all season.

The SNG is a good unit but it could use some more balls for what we do with it. The hydraulic SNG is an idea I've thought about. Besides the unit, I figure $1,500-$2,000 to get it setup (pump, hoses etc) but don't really know.

I don't mind that this unit is large but needs to be shrunk down to fit the truck. It's just too big. The price is good, truck is clean. If I remove the unit that is on it, I imagine it's hard to sell or at least get anything for it.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Your other option is try find a set of shorter rails for it, rolloff rails are fairly cheap. You could use parts from the hoist that is on the truck for a new set of rails. The expensive part is already complete which is the hydraulics.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pending the rail width, I could load my SNG bodies on this truck. Not a big fan of the mileage but there should still plenty of life left in it before it needs a rebuild.

Last edited by tthomass; 10-08-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question, but what can you even haul with a single axle like this? Roll off trucks in my area are all tandem axle, and 95% are macks. They always seem to have a large load on a 20-30-40 yard box.