Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would bet that truck was the drop for empty bins. They use the light duty trucks to deliver the empty bins and use the heavy duty trucks to pick them up when full.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
I would bet that truck was the drop for empty bins. They use the light duty trucks to deliver the empty bins and use the heavy duty trucks to pick them up when full.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can see that you don't need much of a dump angle drop off a 30-40 yarder. It isn't a practice used here but I can see a large bin company doing that using that truck to spot bins while a tandem is out picking up loaded ones.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion for what its worth, I think you should hold out and at least get a 10 wheeler with a roll-off/ or hooklift. I'm not sure on the total size of your business, but I have seen some pictures of your work, and it seems you are doing a fair amount of excavation. I personally think that truck will limit you in what you do. We have a roll-off and I will post all the pictures I have of it that we use it for. Oringally we thought we had gone overboard by getting a triaxle. Now that we have it, I don't know how we would've gone smaller. It is so useful to us in so many ways. As we get bigger as a company, its great to have the ability to put a skidsteer and excavator on one truck and go to a job, or the next day switch to our hydroseeder etc. I know several guys with smaller SNG type size systems on their trucks, and it just seems to limit them so much. The truck you found looks like its in good shape, but I think in a few years, or even sooner you may regret not buying something more beefy.

Attached Images

Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice setup quinn. The hydroseeder has me wondering though on back part of it. Is there a beefed up frame at the end of it?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"The whole reason I'm looking is because I'm adding another truck to my state snow contract. I ran across the rolloff's at good prices and figured why not have it pull double duty vs sit all season."

It's a backup is all it is. I don't know if it'll work with my SNG dumpsters as I don't know the width of the rails. A tri-axle is of no use to us. If I have to haul that much I contract someone to haul. I make no money having my truck go to the landfill, empty/pay, come back........paying out windshield time to the guy driv'n + fees when I can hire someone to haul at $65hr. The loads we carry are usually 5 ton, maybe 6.

We do nothing commercial except snow.

Again, this is a backup truck with it's main reason being snow plowing and a spreader in the back. We'll probably run a few dumpsters for homeowners and other contractors but that is the extent of it.

This truck seems very solid for 200k miles. The price isn't bad, a lot of these CAT's run 300k+ and we would be lucky to put 10k miles a year on it. I just wish the hoist was smaller, it's my only hesitation.....so long as the engine doesn't need a rebuild in a year.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can find nice ex-county plow trucks set up with plows and salters in the 10-12k price range. You still have a lot of money to invest in snow equipment after the initial price of the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Rolloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
I'm going to look at this truck this weekend but not familiar with this style roll off/dumpster truck. I know it needs rollers down the side.

The hoist looks very long. The guy that has it is the 2nd owner, didn't have it built this way. I don't know if I can cut it shorter and still function as the rams look to be fully extended, tilting the hoist/dumpster.

Educate me. Thanks.
Boy. There is no dump angle. I have been building rolloff units over 34yrs. Looks like the unit belongs on a 3 axle truck.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Rolloff Trailers

Rolloff trailers do not have a overhead like rolloff trucks do. In California registration is approx $35.00 for 5 years for trailers. A 3 axle rolloff truck you are paying $1500.00 to $4500.00 a year. Times that by 5 years, a lot of money to the DMV. Plus the diesel smog laws that are forced upon anybody that has a diesel pickup or truck.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Roll Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal Rolloff & Equip View Post
Rolloff trailers do not have a overhead like rolloff trucks do. In California registration is approx $35.00 for 5 years for trailers. A 3 axle rolloff truck you are paying $1500.00 to $4500.00 a year. Times that by 5 years, a lot of money to the DMV. Plus the diesel smog laws that are forced upon anybody that has a diesel pickup or truck.
These rolloff trailers are powered by a 13hp Honda engine, hydraulic reeving winch systems. Use the same frame size width as a rolloff truck.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Let's face the truth, if it wasn't blue you wouldn't want it!!! What's that bird that collects all blue things to build a nest out of?
Posted via Mobile Device
Satin Bowerbird.