Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto n mwr View Post
Just bought a 2011 f-150 w/5.0, ext cab, xlt, 3.55 gears. Two months old and a WHOPPING 12.6 MPG. Love new technology. It does have a lot of power though. Night and day difference between my 06 and the new 2011.
I take it that is towing mileage? If not you need to take it back to the dealer and get it checked out. My 4.6L 2010 F150 gets that mpg towing a 16 ft with 2 Ztrs push mower and all the other stuff. It gets around 18 with mixed hwy and city driving. 20 to 22 straight hwy.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
pinto n mwr pinto n mwr is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: gr8, mn
Posts: 422
not towing mileage, baby foot non tow mileage. Last f-150 with the 5.4 was anything to dream about either. Old mans 2010 4.6 3v gets about 17mpg. I have had three f-150's dating to 2005 and none of them have achieved more than 15mpg, even with 30000 plus miles. Guess I shouldve brought those to the dealer also!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto n mwr View Post
not towing mileage, baby foot non tow mileage. Last f-150 with the 5.4 was anything to dream about either. Old mans 2010 4.6 3v gets about 17mpg. I have had three f-150's dating to 2005 and none of them have achieved more than 15mpg, even with 30000 plus miles. Guess I shouldve brought those to the dealer also!
Umm. No you should have driven Chevrolet or GMC 1500 then. Ford's mpg's have always been less than GM until the 3v was put in the Ford in 09'.

My wife also has the F150 4.6 3v Super Crew and it avg the same 18 mpg's. So that is what I was basing the fact that you need to take it back to dealer on. Maybe the 5.0 is just a gas hog though.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Poontamer Poontamer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Longwood Florida
Posts: 86
I have a 2009 Ford F-150 4.6 3v 6speedAuto and I get around 20 city 23 highway 17 towing (16ft trailer)
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto n mwr View Post
Just bought a 2011 f-150 w/5.0, ext cab, xlt, 3.55 gears. Two months old and a WHOPPING 12.6 MPG. Love new technology. It does have a lot of power though. Night and day difference between my 06 and the new 2011.
To bad , my 5.0 got 18.3 mpg on my 60 mile loop today 40 hwy 20 in town with a 3000 lb trailer. . I get 21-24 at 60-65 empty, 18 in town .
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
This is an antiquated argument that really needs to be put to bed. The current trucks line up looks like this:


If the argument is that you need displacement to pull a trailer, then you are dead wrong. Technology can AND will replacement displacement.
And before you say something about the turbo engine not being good due to turbo lag... remember, the big, bad diesels have all been running turbo for a long time... you won't see a normally aspirated engine pulling a 50K pound trailer down the highway

As emission and mileage requirements go up, you will see all the manufacturers finally put to rest the idea of "no replacement for displacement" and join what foreign car makers have known for a long time... technology and boost are the ways to go. With Ford dtepping up their product line and making an engine like the EB for a truck, the other makers will now have to step up. Once people start seeing the joy of getting 20+mpg out of their work trucks and the cost savings associated, fleets will start changing over to them and if GM and Dodge don't keep up, they will get left behind.

.
All your high tech theorizing is wonderful, but in the real world a EB towing will see high exhaust temps , the computer will then pull back timing and fatten up the A/F and the mileage will be in the crapper. The 5.0 is a better engine for towing if you want MPG.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
pinto n mwr pinto n mwr is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: gr8, mn
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
To bad , my 5.0 got 18.3 mpg on my 60 mile loop today 40 hwy 20 in town with a 3000 lb trailer. . I get 21-24 at 60-65 empty, 18 in town .
i think i would get that too if i coasted downhill. It does go into the shop tomorrow though but not for mileage. Frustrated that it gets poor gas mileage but not that frustrated as gas is not a factor of why i bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Knight511 Knight511 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
All your high tech theorizing is wonderful, but in the real world a EB towing will see high exhaust temps , the computer will then pull back timing and fatten up the A/F and the mileage will be in the crapper. The 5.0 is a better engine for towing if you want MPG.
The irony of you telling me my theorizing is wonderful when you fire back with theorizing is excellent.

The only test that I have found that would be "real world" comes from Pickuptrucks.com and the reviews do not cover the same roads traveled.

The Ecoboost averaged 8.5mpg during their crossing of the Rockies while towing a 9000 pound trailer. The 5.0L averaged 9.42mpg over a much shorter 226 mile test. So I don't think many would consider 1mpg as being "in the crapper" considering the testing conditions for the Ecoboost were certainly more rigorous than driving a landscape trailer around town.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
dishboy dishboy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: zone 6
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
The irony of you telling me my theorizing is wonderful when you fire back with theorizing is excellent.

The only test that I have found that would be "real world" comes from Pickuptrucks.com and the reviews do not cover the same roads traveled.

The Ecoboost averaged 8.5mpg during their crossing of the Rockies while towing a 9000 pound trailer. The 5.0L averaged 9.42mpg over a much shorter 226 mile test. So I don't think many would consider 1mpg as being "in the crapper" considering the testing conditions for the Ecoboost were certainly more rigorous than driving a landscape trailer around town.
No theory involved. Fords engineer as reported in the PUC dyno tests and written up by Mike Levine stipulates that when loaded the ECO backs the timing and A/F ratios down due to high exhaust temps in 3+ gears. There goes your fuel mileage and this is why Ford recommends Premium fuel in high temps or when towing with the 3.5. I actually own and tow with a 5.0 and the guy who sold me mine also owns a Eco-boost as well as is a LCO. When towing similar loads in similar conditions the 5.0 consistently gets better fuel mileage. For towing daily with loads suited for a 1/2 ton the 5.0 is a better choice for fuel mileage. Regarding towing 9000 lb loads, wrong truck for that application.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Capemay Eagle's Avatar
Capemay Eagle Capemay Eagle is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Capemay NJ
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
To bad , my 5.0 got 18.3 mpg on my 60 mile loop today 40 hwy 20 in town with a 3000 lb trailer. . I get 21-24 at 60-65 empty, 18 in town .
I get the same mileage with my 5.4, I usually get about 13mpg's when I tow 7K. But I mostly average 15 mpg around town unloaded.
__________________
John Deere X300 42"
Craftsman YT3000
Echo PB413
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.10974 seconds with 7 queries