Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have seen MULTIPLE people fail in this business by doing this exact same thing, get all excited, buy 50-60k worth of equipment with little to no work to cover the payments, hoping to pick up more clients right away only to fall flat on their faces and sell it all.

the smart thing to do is start small, start slow, and work your way up the ladder, only buy things when you need them not because you want them.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
i have seen MULTIPLE people fail in this business by doing this exact same thing, get all excited, buy 50-60k worth of equipment with little to no work to cover the payments, hoping to pick up more clients right away only to fall flat on their faces and sell it all.

the smart thing to do is start small, start slow, and work your way up the ladder, only buy things when you need them not because you want them.
+1 great advice
Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Agreed however i wish you the best of luck....
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Well said!^^^

His equipment and truck is nicer than many established LCO's. I'm afraid we might see a "package deal" or "liquidation sale" ad in the equipment and marketplace section next year.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah GOLD PRO brings up a good point. I dont wanna bring you down but maybe this will somehow give you more of an incentive to strive and prove everyone wrong. Best of luck.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Has it occurred to any of you guys that some people go into this business with capital and have a very well planned out business plan. Not everyone wants to start with a 21 just doing lawns. Some people actually have studied and planned out everything. Not saying this guy has but it is defiantly a possibility.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Has it occurred to any of you guys that some people go into this business with capital and have a very well planned out business plan. Not everyone wants to start with a 21 just doing lawns. Some people actually have studied and planned out everything. Not saying this guy has but it is defiantly a possibility.
Posted via Mobile Device
thats irrelevent, he has 50-60k in new equipment and only has 10 lawns, i highly doubt those 10 lawns are bringing in enough money to cover his payments right now. i didnt say he had to use push mowers but their is nothing wring with a decient used trailer,truck and 48-52 used walkbehind, then upgrade as the years pass when you pick up more work and make more money.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Not such a good plan Snapper Man....He paid more for his f150 gasser than you did for your f250 diesel. I think he's in over his head...We will see!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if say my brother wanted to get into the biz and had 60 grand to spend to get started i would have suggested a used dump in the 10 to 15 grand range ,and then a used zturn like the toro dlawns just sold in the 5 grand range.i would have also pointed out a couple of used dual axle trailers for 2 grand and a set of new echo hand helds for 1 grand .for another 2 grand you got a used leaf sucker.so for 25 grand on the high side your good to go ,and you then have 35 grand in the bank for working capital to cover biz insurance taxes etc.