Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Advise on Leaf Vacuums/truck loaders

I am about to drop some coin on a leaf vacuum and have narrowed it down to the Giant-Vac with the 18hp Vangaurd engine or the same size BillyGoat. They both have 10" hoses and I will be mounting on the front of my dump trailer (I don't want the swing away mount).

I want to hear some reviews on these machines before I drop $3500...

I'm leaning towards the BillyGoat because it is a couple hundred less and I like green more than red.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Billy Goat has a liner in the blower housing to protect housing from wearing through. Cheaper to replace a liner than a whole blower housing.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Great info, thanks! I always see housings with dents from gravel, etc and was wondering if there was a difference.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Toro Vacuum bagger on my ZTR with gator blades on it. I still have to dispose of it but is already shredded when I dump it.. I also use the the bagger for grass during mowing season.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the giant vac. I went with it because at the time it was the only 18hp with electric start. I wouldn't trade that for anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 9 horse tailgate mount giant vac with an 8in hose. I mounted it to the front of my trailer, being a one man show it works good for me and I can handle everything bymyself, a 18horse would be nice but would suck the leaves up faster than I can rake them to the hose after it kills one section of the pile. I may put a 13horse engine on it this season just to see what happens, but probably not. It works for me because I don't take on more leaf work than I can handle, so I don't need the 18 horse vacs.

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so lets discuss mounting it on the front of my dump trailer above the control box, verses on the back with a swing away. I am pretty sure I will mount it to the front, but I do feel like I can get the back of the trailer closer to piles easier than the front of the trailer.

What about covers? After spending this money, I'd like to keep this thing covered when not in use. It will be mounted pretty much all winter and exposed to the elements. Anything better than a trash bag or blue tarp?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

camo tarp!

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are other decent pics of my leaf trailer in my pic thread...just search "Perfect Earth" in thread titles and you can see a few examples of my dump/vac setup.

Just assembled it again today and filled it up in 2 hours!

I'll post this pic from a few years ago- it's the same as today. I mount the Billy Goat 18 hp on the swing barn gate of the trailer. It's heavy on the door- and that worried me- BUT, I use the two ratchet straps and tie the weight to box. It's a huge help. To dump, I just undo the straps, swing the gate and vac away, strap that to the trailer, and the plywood gate swings away. Perfect dump everytime.

I have used a setup on the control box and I like mine 10x better. Access to piles is so much easier.

I park my trailer under the pole barn at the shop to keep the rain off. I find the Billy Goat it very bitchy... If it gets rained on, I have to blow out all the fuel lines and dump the gas. With any vac, keep it CLEAN! I take the tank off and get all the grime and dust out about every week. Filter gets hit daily.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats a nice set up. I really think access to piles may be the only reason I might switch to a rear mount. No offense, but I don't really like the look of the straps, however, I understand their function and may do the same thing.

BTW, is that marine plywood on your box? Looks nice.